Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

meguiars scratch X

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 03:12 PM
subwoofers
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default meguiars scratch X

Has anyone tried this product, does it work?
Old 03-18-08, 03:16 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes many times.

It works for what it claims. Very minor swirls/marrs..

Large, deep , scratches no it isn't going to do much. Say you have a deep scratch down your door from a metal on metal object. It will make it look better than how it is.. but it will not fill in the deep part, but the feathered thinner part on the edges it will take away.

It is a good product to have in your arsenal to apply by hand, but don't expect miracles.

Best to just go with a polish and a DA machine. This is where I am going, ordering my equipment from Mike, thedetaildude.com -- He has his own forumulations and his own pad types that are superior. I will be posting my results once they arrive.

Anyhow,.. if you are dealing with minor, minor scratches/marrs/swirls it is worth a shot, and it is cheap.
Old 03-18-08, 06:32 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say just buy a polisher. You'll get better results with that. I combined a little ScratchX with a polish and it seemed to help a bit more. If you do it by hand, it might take awhile, and one arm will be bigger than the other after...

Heres my results, 1 hour solid on the right side. It was basically a mirror image of the left side

Works, but you wouldn't want to do the whole car with it
Old 03-18-08, 08:35 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Perfect example. -- You can tell the right side was a mirror image because there are still traces of minor scratches where the deeper ones were on the right side. IE: A polisher would get more out of the right side than you've already done of course. I take it you don't have a polisher -- After that much rubbing I'm sure your probably sold on buying one.

The UDM is 100 bucks,.. not excuse to really not have one these days, imo.

Depends on your application. The scratch-x's are just polishes, very mild/finishing polishes really. They are meant for spots , not to do your car, or even whole panels really. It takes ALOT of rubbing, even for one scratch.

It is worth buying a DA polisher even for spot scratches,.. You can load the pad with a bit of polish and move around the scratched area for 10 minutes and you just did 3 hours worth of hand work. Really, its that much different.
Old 03-19-08, 12:30 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I thought you posted in my threads here about my PC adventures Neofate. I just decided to try ScratchX to see if it did what it said it would. I only did 1/2 the trunk before swapping to my PC, in which I finished the trunk and hood and then the backing plate melted. More to come soon. I finally finished my ES yesterday and currently in process of taking pics

1.5 months ftl
Old 03-19-08, 01:10 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

some people likes it..some people dont...but if you work scratch x...scratch x works....
Old 03-19-08, 08:14 AM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Just my input.....My Paint Prep Cleaner polish can be used by hand or machine. It works very well too! Work smarter not harder!
Old 03-19-08, 04:51 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Hmm, I thought you posted in my threads here about my PC adventures Neofate. I just decided to try ScratchX to see if it did what it said it would.
1.5 months ftl
I probably did. -- Bad memory,.. I apologize hehe.. No harm no foul. =)

Your like me, you worked for an hour just to see if a product would work that way ... lol, when you had a machine that would do your hour work in a few minutes
Old 03-19-08, 04:53 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The Detail Dude
Just my input.....My Paint Prep Cleaner polish can be used by hand or machine. It works very well too! Work smarter not harder!
I'm getting some of these samples in the mail soon -- I will be attesting to Mikes products very soon.. I have (at last count) 33 products I've accumulated so far. I am anticipating Mikes additions.. You guys Know I do a complete detail twice a month, so should be alot to report hehe..

Considering my car is 99% perfectly clean/fresh when I do these, any significant improvments in products will be very impressive. To make good, look great and so forth.
Old 03-19-08, 06:11 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Man, Neofate.....you have me nervous! No pressure or anything! LOL
Old 03-19-08, 06:16 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I tried it. I tried to take out the finest scratches on my rear bumpr, it did nothing except inducing more very fine scratches. I might have to use my Porter Cable 7424 with some heavier cut pads and compounds......
Old 03-19-08, 06:38 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I tried it. I tried to take out the finest scratches on my rear bumpr, it did nothing except inducing more very fine scratches. I might have to use my Porter Cable 7424 with some heavier cut pads and compounds......
Just keep in mind that Lexus paint is VERY soft man. I used Menz FP II and a LC white pad and it got rid of most of the heavy marring on the RX. It was easier to get rid of than the ones on my 12 year old ES

Start with the least aggressive combo then work your way up. Unless your car was like mine with extreme marring, I doubt you'll have to go with a LC yellow pad and Menz IP