Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning Your Interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 03:52 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Your Interior

Just a quick question, was planning on spending a good few hours cleaning the inside of my IS now that winter is coming to a close and iv been debating what products to buy for cleaning the plastic/rubber surfaces and for conditioning the leather.

What do you CL members prefer?

I was thinking of Meguiars gold line of products...
Old 03-20-08, 03:55 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

check out the detailing section.....
Old 03-20-08, 03:57 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meguiars is nice but collects dust pretty fast IMO.

i like turtle wax 2001 spray. its a neon green spray bottle for leather and plastic.

i use this carpet cleaner too in a red bottle with a removable scrub on the end but i forgot what name brand that is.

but yes please check out the detailing section
Old 03-20-08, 04:16 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i use meguiers, why? i like enjoy watching 'car crazy' on speed AND while there may be better more xpensive boutique items, there is nothing 'wrong' with meguiers.
Old 03-20-08, 04:30 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

303 aerospace for everything non leather

4 star cleaner and conditioner for leather.

3m glass glass cleaner

and i shampoo and put the matts in the washer occasionally.
Old 03-20-08, 05:48 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

If you want to give something a try, try my products! I will give you a super deal on what ever you think you are going to need this year. You won't be disapointed.
Old 03-22-08, 03:19 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non Leather Surfaces = Aerospace 303
Leather = Leatherique Rejuvenationg Oil & Conditioner
Glass = Stoner Glass Cleaner + Microfiber
Old 03-22-08, 03:37 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I reiterate, nothing wrong with Meguires products.. They've chosen to be basically the top end of OTC products, with non OTC products for order.

Best bang for the buck for the general public. There isn't a meguire product I'd 'throw away' if you know what I mean.

That said, there are better products for sure.

For plastic and rubber I would backup 303, its a popular choice -- Not the easiest to find. Meg's quick interior detailor isn't bad for vinyl and general interior areas. DO NOT go with armor all. It is messy, and a waste of time for anything but your tires.. and maybe leather. I really don't like it even for seals,.. because it is an old formula that really is outdone by so many other producst, besides its a mess to deal with and durability is lackluster.

For leather -- You can't go wrong with Lexol. Good stuff,.. mild conditioner. Although I've had good results with Meg's leather cleaner/conditioner.

Go with the brand names, and you'll enjoy the results. Don't over condition,.. and don't use armor all on your leather

Carpet, I need advice here -- I've used those cheap foam bottles with the scrub on the head -- Mine worked terrible, would barely come out and didn't clean worth a flip. I guess I just need to try some other brands, but the carpet isn't so bad in my car.

Tip on carpet:

Take your seats out.

Front seats anyway. There are 4 bolts holding each one down. Undo the bolts.. slightly lift seat up, undo power seat clip under neath, and carefully pull seat out of car without scratching anything.

This gives you so much more room to clean the carpet. Also great to go ahead and do your interior with the seats out.

Sounds like a pain, but it is really almost worth pulling the seats on a good interior detail. The room you have to work saves you more time than it takes to remove/install them. (I'd say removal is about 2 minutes tops.) Maybe 3minutes on installation.

Thats my tip of the day Enjoy.
Old 03-24-08, 10:28 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

No doubt that 303 Aerospace protectant is the best for anything non-leather. This stuff was originally made for airplanes and boats...vehicles that are exposed to harsher elements than our cars will probably ever experience.

Well worth the dineros to have 303 Aerospace protectant in your detailing kit.