Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Major leather re-conditioning -- Leatherique (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 02:53 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

After spending some time on Autopedia.org, I figure it's time to at least give the Leatherique a shot. The results seem spotty with some Lexus GS users (due to the different leather top-coat--some report great, others not so great), but I won't know unless I try. Is my leather bad and cracked? No, but again, I'm just looking to get a bit more softness.

Bought 32oz. of Leatherique Rejuvenator oil and 32oz. of Pristine Clean for $55, with shipping $72 total (www.leatherique.org to order or www.leatherique.com for info). I probably won't try this out until it gets close to 90 degrees (probably have to wait a month or so), or I might just take out my seats from the car (based on the factory diagrams, it doesn't look too bad) and heat them up in the house. When I do, I'll put a post up.

Any updates NeoFate?
Old 04-04-08, 03:16 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The seats are still covered with leatherique.. muahah. They aren't being heated though. Just room temperature. The weather has been raining, and tornadic today, so can't even open the garage to get to work.. But it has calmed down -- So here shortly I will remove it/clean it up. Pics will be inside the garage, but thats ok -- Not much difference outside on an interior shot. -- So officially the product has been on the seats for 29hours. It will have around 30 hours 'work' time before removal,.. I think thats a fair test.

I did get a trash bag and put it on the edge of the seat to move the car yesterday. When I came back to take it off.. it really molds to the seat with the rejuvenator on it. So I stuck it over the center console just for kicks.

I can really see getting some trash bags and cutting them to take advantage of the entire lining -- (Or just plastic liners) -- and molding them to the seats.. wouldn't be hard. This would lock it in easily.. and if you didn't mind you could continue to drive the vehicle for as long as you liked (a week say, then pull off the bags and clean).

Seattle. The GS models I've hard conflicting reports from -- Be careful, test it on a spot under the seat or some such before going full tilt. I've heard it can do some damage to those seats.. (could be misinformation) -- Not sure.. something about it removing a coating or something due to the way those seats are covered.

Gonna go look at the seats right now,.. and check the weather.
Old 04-04-08, 09:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

All done.

Turned out great! -- As I thought I couldn't get a decent picture of a drastic 'change'. You need to feel them.

Anyhow,.. it was harder work than I imagined getting them cleaned off. -- I filled a gallon bucket up with warm/hot water and got several cotton cloths. I damped the cloth and started wiping, having to dip in the water and rinse every few minutes. I made 3 passes and used 2 gallons of water (got too dirty) -- To clean them off.

Then I got a Microfiber and 'buffed' them dry,.. not much of that was needed.

It physically changed the color of them,.. I suspect due to the major 'cleaning' that was done not so much the conditioning.

The smell is great. It isn't some 'candy' smell like an airfreshner, but almost like new leather,.. That was unexpected.

The biggest areas I saw a difference in softness were the headrests, and the backseats. The backseats really changed.

These seats are made of leather but in different ways in different areas. The front of the seats have a coarser almost vinyl type of leather feel, the whole section is made that way, then in the center and mid back its plush. It wasn't 'plush' before this. Now those softer areas by design are soft again.

No clue why the headrests got so soft, but just reporting the facts. Oh and the center console really softened up.

Steering wheel, not much change, shifter not much change.

Another noteworthy observation: When you do this you need to clean them inch by inch. If not, you will have areas of dirt showing that you never noticed before. It pulls so much of it out, you have to make sure you scrub them well.. Not just a wipe, but using some elbow grease..

I opted not to use the scrub brush, but just cotton, and some force and water -- Plus Pristine Clean solution.

For anyone else doing this -- The only thing I would change is *maybe* taking the front seats out for easier application and cleaning.

Also, wrapping all the leather in plastic is something I would like to 'try' to see if it procures any different results. Otherwise, just give it heat and time.

Here is the before and after -- This is in the garage, at night,.. and you can't tell much of anything. I will have to try and get some decent shots in the daytime tommorow,.. but maybe this will show you something.

Though, again, the conditioned effect is felt not seen. You can see it in person though. The leather looks healthier, and newer. Color looks better.

Old 04-05-08, 01:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am glad it worked for you and was expecting it to help on your LS as people with LS generally report good results with it softening up their leather and getting satisfying results. That is really cool that it seemed to give back your leather smell which is what I hear reported often with many who use leatherique.

Unfortunately it does not seem to have much if any effect on GS leather due to some kind of horrible silicon sealant that is unfortunately applied to the GS leather. So it sounds like you used mostly water to clean off the dirt that was pushed to the surface instead of the pristine clean. I still have the leatherique on my car but it has been so cloudy and rainy that I have not removed it yet. In the future another product you might want to try is surflex sofner which is pretty much the same as leatherique but a little thicker and I think more concentrated and there is no pristine clean combo, just the sofner, it is cheaper then leatherique with the same if not better results, after using a can of sofner and I did somewhat notice the leather in some areas being a little softer but that is about it where I noticed no real difference with the leatherique. I do notice like I have with other leathers is that the leather gets a good deal softer in the hot summer then during the cooler temps in the winter no matter if I condition or not. Glad you are satisfied with your results
Old 04-05-08, 01:28 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yup pictures don't do it justice. I knew it wouldn't, I hate that I can't convey the difference via a picture. But oh well..

To clear something up though -- I used 3/4th's of the Pristine Clean bottle to clean. -- I sprayed it on, and massaged the PC in with my bare hands again. then I sprayed over on top of that and let it sit for 15minutes.

Then came the hot water and cotton .

I still have enough to do another round of Leatherique on the entire car again,.. but it doesn't need it, and shouldn't for quite a while. I'll probably end up using it on a family or girlfriends car. Just so expensive , not sure I want to waste it .

So you have it on right now,.. nice. Leave it on as long as you can, esp if the temps aren't up there for you. Take some trash bags, and mold them around the seats.. I do have a strong feeling that will make a big difference.
Old 04-05-08, 01:35 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposedly, Leather Master has been the newest recommendation of "the best" product over Leatherique. I haven't tried it yet, but did get some in and will do some tests. So far, my favorite choices are Connolly cleaner and hide care and Swissvax leather cleaner and leather milk. Not as oily as Leatherique.

Great writeup, nonetheless.
Old 04-05-08, 12:33 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, looks great. That'll be on my next order of detailing supplies, which should be soon since I only have 2OZ of Menz IP left
Old 04-05-08, 12:36 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Oh and eyezack.. Who is that in your avatar? Girlfriend, wife, sister, daughter, or you?
hehe off topic but great question.
Old 04-05-08, 02:42 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

The picture doesn't show much change imho -- But in person it looks amazingly better, and feels fantastic. I wasn't expecting much change to this leather that isn't in bad condition to start with, but was/am pleasantly surprised.

I won't be conditioning the leather again for quite a while,.. but thanks for mentioning the other products to make the thread diverse. As for the writeup -- really just a journal of a project so to speak. I like to (as you can tell by now) -- Journal my detailing and mechanical ploys on this vehicle. Although I could use a better digital camera.. this one really doesn't work all that well. *I have solved the battery issue though,.. 16$ from Walmart, Energizer 2400mah AA (comes with 4 NiCad AA) and a re-charger base that plugs into wall. So far two of the four batteries have lasted about 150shots, and still going strong. --I highly recommend the Energizer re-chargable batteries and charger pack at Walmart.. Saves you a ton of money on AA batteries, as , obviously you reuse them over and over instead of paying 10$ for several of the E2 Camera batteries.. etc.

Anyhow --

Issac, You won't be dissapointed in this product as long as you give it LOTS of time and lots of heat. (Oh and work it in well with your hands preferably, and using latex gloves if your skin is sensitive). I wanna see your results

Ismy350JDM : In case you missed it,.. Eyezack's avatar is his girlfriend,.. Option number 1.
Old 04-05-08, 04:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Cant see to much from the dark second picture, but I believe you. I've read way to many positive testimonials to not believe it. Good work, though it does seem time consuming.
Old 04-05-08, 10:47 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neofate
Anyhow --

Issac, You won't be dissapointed in this product as long as you give it LOTS of time and lots of heat. (Oh and work it in well with your hands preferably, and using latex gloves if your skin is sensitive). I wanna see your results

Ismy350JDM : In case you missed it,.. Eyezack's avatar is his girlfriend,.. Option number 1.
I'll prolly purchase some pretty soon. I'm not liking how #83 works for me. I think Menzerna is the perfect brand for me haha. Should be ordering some within this month. Honestly depends on my Mum since the RX belongs to her and its the only car that has good leather. If I used it on mine, I'd be conditioning the foam and whatever is underneath the leather

Lol...seems like I somewhat hijack threads with my avy
Old 04-06-08, 12:47 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tod071
Supposedly, Leather Master has been the newest recommendation of "the best" product over Leatherique. I haven't tried it yet, but did get some in and will do some tests. So far, my favorite choices are Connolly cleaner and hide care and Swissvax leather cleaner and leather milk. Not as oily as Leatherique.

Great writeup, nonetheless.
Where did you hear about Leather Master and that it is recommended over leatherique? I found very little information about this product and from what I found people said it was more a cleaner and protectant then something to soften up leather. Does the Leather Master seem to be a similiar formula as Leatherique or something totally different?
Old 04-06-08, 02:56 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, here are some pictures in sunlight -- But being that it is the interior of the car, again, it is very hard to get good sun 'inside'

Maybe this will help some.

It seems everyday that passes it feels a little better -- In my head perhaps,

Take care,
Old 04-06-08, 07:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Very nice!!!! Great job!!
Old 04-07-08, 12:03 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, I don't know if I should post in both autopia and here now

Looks AMAZING Neo =)

Quick Reply: Major leather re-conditioning -- Leatherique (Pics)