Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Project Restore my nasty Leather!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 12:32 AM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Restore my nasty Leather!

Ok I just purchased my 98 gs400 around a month ago. Needless to say the leather has seen better days. I am going to try to restore it to exceptable shape and if I cant I will get front seats redone. I would say that my seats have to be the worst taken care of lexus seats I have ever seen. Now I know I cant get all the big cracks out, but I would like to get the dirt out of the cracks to make them less noticable. I will post pictures tomorrow of how it looks right now. I tried dove soap and water today and it did ok, but not like I had thought. I also used mequires gold class leather cleaner and it did nothing , but make it look shiny and greasy feeling. I did a few spots with a sponge with the green scrubby side and rubbed pretty hard, and it seemed to get the dirt out of the grain, but I was afraid it would hurt it. Let me know if that is ok to use? Let me know all of your alls secrets and tricks! I will keep you posted on how it goes and if worse comes to worse I will just redo front seats. Back seats arent that bad.
Old 04-06-08, 05:24 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Use a soft bristle brush to get in the cracks.
Old 04-08-08, 07:25 PM
khooper
Driver School Candidate

I've considered mink oil, but I'm just familiar with its waterproofing properties and I definitely don't want to put something on the seat that is going to end up on my backside after I sit in the chairs.
Old 04-08-08, 07:58 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I detailed my parent's 99 ES a month or so ago using the leather cleaner from Lexus, you should try it.

It is pH balanced/made meaning that it is specially made to have either I guess a tad bit acidity or base to it (dont be scared by that haha, its perfectly safe)... it basically makes it easier than soap since it is strong enough to eat away the dirt and grim, but not strong enough to harm the seat.

What I do with the hard grim and dirt is that I spray it on really close, use a paper towel, pressed around the dirty area and try to pool a little bit of the solution on that dirty area and let it sit in a pool submerging the dirty area for like 10 secs or so. You will find a lot of the dirt and scuff and grimes come out A LOT easier!
Old 04-18-08, 08:31 PM
smithy
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problems. grrr..
Old 04-19-08, 12:13 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

i have used leatherique and it worked great!! just look it up and there are pics of terrible leather that looks fantastic after use. My leather wasn't at all bad, but after using it, it looked like new. you could go to autogeekonline.net forums and read up on it.