Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

question about the porter cable 7424

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 09:46 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about the porter cable 7424

i got me the porter cable 7424. i want to know if the only way to start buffing is to put the machine on the body and then turn it on stage 2 to spread and then 3 - 4 to buff, or can i turn the machine on after spreading the polish and start buffing lightly?
i also need to know if it is okay to plug the porter cable directly to the socket, because i was reading online and some guy was saying how you can damage your machine like that or something.?
Old 04-19-08, 01:56 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh? Does it even cut on 3-4? I've always used 3-4 to spread my polish evenly on the surface then upped it to 5-6 to cut/buff. The only time I don't spread polish is when I'm spot buffing

I use an extension cord and have been for quite awhile. I think it should be fine no matter how you do it. Any chance of posting that thread? I wanna take a look at it...
Old 04-19-08, 04:20 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Eh? Does it even cut on 3-4? I've always used 3-4 to spread my polish evenly on the surface then upped it to 5-6 to cut/buff. The only time I don't spread polish is when I'm spot buffing

I use an extension cord and have been for quite awhile. I think it should be fine no matter how you do it. Any chance of posting that thread? I wanna take a look at it...

I agree!

At 3-5 you really aren't doing much. For any polish to work, and break down the way it should, 5-6 is really the way to go..IMO.
Old 04-19-08, 05:38 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

well basically what i wanted to know if is it okay to turn the machine on and then start buffing, cause from everything i read they said place the pad on the car and then turn on.
i also think that 5-6 is a bit to fast, ill use 4-5 iam scared to cause swirl from being fast and the heat..
Old 04-19-08, 06:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you have polish on your pad then you definitely don't want to turn the PC on before it is resting on your car or else the polish will go flying everywhere. Also having the PC turned on full while not resting on a car panel can occasionally cause the pad to fly off which means it will need to be thoroughly washed if it lands on the floor. Don't lift the PC off the car either while their is alot of fresh polish on it. Generally it is best to put some polish either on the car or pad and then smear the polish around with the PC while it is turned off, then spread it more evenly around with it on like 2 or 3 and then turn it up to 5 to 6 to start out polishing, remember to put pressure on the PC while you are polishing and you have to lean in fairly hard for it to correct the deeper swirls/scratches, just letting the weight of the machine do the work will not effectively polish.
Old 04-20-08, 10:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above about the polish flying everywhere if you turn it on before you touch the body of the car. I've done that I do spread it on low speed, but then I usually go straight to #6 speed. I bought a bunch of different foam pads. 1 for heavy cut, 1 for medium/light cut, a couple different polishing pads, and a couple of different finishing pads. I keep the speed all on 6, but use the different pads and compounds depending on what I'm trying to accomplish and let the pad and compounds to the work. I remove the material by hand because I don't have the proper pad for wax removal yet.
Old 04-20-08, 12:24 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i am using menzerna polish II. i know that i have to spread the polish with the machine first. what about when i am done with the polish, do i turn the machine off as it is touching the body or i can move it away and then turn it off. i wanna be sure of everything cause i dont want to cause a swirl on my car because its black.
by the way are you sure 6 is not to fast . i was told to go in the middle of 4 and 5?
Old 04-20-08, 05:59 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
i am using menzerna polish II. i know that i have to spread the polish with the machine first. what about when i am done with the polish, do i turn the machine off as it is touching the body or i can move it away and then turn it off. i wanna be sure of everything cause i dont want to cause a swirl on my car because its black.
by the way are you sure 6 is not to fast . i was told to go in the middle of 4 and 5?
FP II?? Thats a decent cutter that I've noticed when I used it on my ES and RX paint. It takes more passes than IP or SIP obviously but for light swirl removal its ok.

When you finish, just turn it off while its still on the car. If you broke the polish down completely it should not have a circle of polish when you lift off. If it does, just wipe it off with a MF towel . You can also lift it off when its on if you want since you supposedly broke down the polish all the way and it will not sling if that is the case. I do both all the time, with Menz or Megs Professional line

Speed 5, which is my minimum for cutting, is what I recommend for beginners since Speed 6 is a little intimidating (very noisy lol). Just apply more pressure and be ready to spend a bit more time on it. Its not too bad. If you do a whole car on Speed 6 and you'll never flinch again . Basically, my recommendation is to just get used to the machine. I know how intimidating it is but it isn't bad after you know what it does and how it reacts to your paint. Don't be scared, any swirls it causes can be taken out with the same machine
Old 04-21-08, 06:43 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Good Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2sLCoHsEoo