Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 01:29 AM
max90034
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I doing wrong?

I have black is-f that has been only washed 4 times: 2 times by dealer and 2 times by me. My first wash was when I applied zaino (clay+Z2+Z5) just a few days after I got it from dealer. The car looks fantastic (like a mirror) in natural light. However, when I use flash light (in the garage) and look close I already see lots of "swirl" marks (actually they are straight because I always use straight motion in washing and waxing). Anyway, they are there and I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong so to reduce "damage" in the future:

1) I used microfiber mitt from Costco to wash. This may be not the best, so I just ordered "Eurow Genuine Sheepskin Wash Mitt" from pakshak.

2) I used only one basket (just bought another one), but I am in SoCA (no rains – no much dirt on the road). So, the car was pretty clean even before I washed (it should not be much dirt collected in the basket)

3) To dry I used Ultra-Soft Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towels from pakshak which should be fine.

What is wrong?

Can somebody also explain the following: I washed my car yesterday and it stayed in the garage overnight. This morning, trying to understand what cost those marks, I tried to use Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel (just machine washed before) to buff some hidden area to see if it leaves any marks. And it does! What does it mean? Can the towels become bad? How can I check this? Or this area collected some microdust already that scratched the paint when I tested it? I am wondering because I am using the same towels to wash and to buff the car with Z6 after, so it could be a reason for the marks.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-20-08, 01:59 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer wash = swirl o matic
Wash using the 2 bucket method with a grit guard. Could be the dirt you're washing off is marring on the paint on your mitt. Try blotting when you dry too.
Old 04-20-08, 02:43 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

You first need to remove the swirls. If you don't plan to put too much effort in polishing, you could opt to have it detailed by a pro. But make sure that pro is recommended and check his/her work when they're done. Then, you can maintain it with Zaino and you should be fine.
Old 04-20-08, 02:50 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

yup never let dealer wash. if u get it detailed by a good pro it should last u awhile. just note our black paint is hella soft, so a bit of swirls are inevitable.
Old 04-20-08, 10:12 AM
max90034
Rookie

Yes, I am not planning to let dealer to wash it anymore.

Right now I don't have too many swirl marks yet. Also, the pain was first sealed by pro shop and I applied Zaino on top. So, I don't see a need to polish it now (neither I have time to redo all this now). However, it seems that I am doing someting wrong when I wash the car and I add swirls myself with every car wash. So, I am trying to figure out what should I change to slow down swirls build up.

I am also considering to stop applying Z6 after each wash. I like how it adds some depth but it seems to add even more swirls when I buff Z6 out.
Old 04-20-08, 12:39 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Use a foam gun and pressure washer followed by a leaf blower and you wont need to worry about swirls
Old 04-20-08, 02:18 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I never let the dealer wash my car....never! On delivery, I even ask the dealer to only remove the plastic film and to not wash or remove the residue.

I would also recommend only using high quality MF towels on your paint....not the costco ones. I use the costco MF towels only on my wheels, tires, and door jambs.

I listed my regimen in a recent thread.