Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best tire dressing brand

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 06:10 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Joe, you might check out my Vinyl and Rubber Protector. I have a sprayable and spongable version that provide a nice non greasy look. More of a silky matte finish.
Old 04-27-08, 04:20 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Detail Dude
Hey Kyle, have you experiemnted with your new kit yet?
Mike, I just started playing with it a little yesterday, I've got a dark green 95 Caddy with 230,000 miles that's in good shape for being that old but has some pretty bad swirls, especially after a MN winter. I spent a while on the hood to get a feel for it and it's looking a lot better. I figured I'd practice on that before I get the new Lexus.

Where does the Paint Prep polish fall on the aggressiveness scale compared to something like Meguiars #9 swirl remover or something like that? I've made a few passes over the hood and trunk with the yellow pad and the PP polish and it's much better but still has a ways to go.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 04-27-08 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 05:48 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

The Paint Prep has micro polishing agents that work more effectively at higher speeds. Using my Yellow pad, spray a fine mist of Sig. Detail Spray on the pad, and set the dial to 5.5-6. Pour a dime to nickel size amount of Paint Prep on the center of the pad....set it on the panel and break it down pretty good.

As far as a comparison goes....my polish is more of a fine to medium polish. It is heavily concentrated with the micro polishing agents, so it can be more effective with less work.
Old 04-27-08, 11:53 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Mike, I'll have to try speeding it up a little. One more ?, what do you recommend for cleaning the pads? I tried searching here and didn't come up with a good specific answer.

My apologies to the OP for thread jacking. I'll shut up now!
Old 04-28-08, 06:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Meguiar's Insane Shine.

I buy this in the trigger spray bottle. I apply it with old microfibers. MF's leave a thin coating and so there is never any sling. I pay particular attention to wiping out the excess that might be in the tire sipes on the sidewall.

Here is what it looks like just after application.

This product seems to last a long time. I get 2-3 weeks out of it depending on the weather.

Here is what it looks like after three weeks, three washings and a couple rain showers. The tires are a bit dirty in this shot as I just went out and snapped a pic to show the overall durability. It has given up some of it's shine but it still has a nice sheen.

Old 04-28-08, 07:02 AM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Looks good Jim! I think most people have a 50/50 opinion on tire dressing. The high gloss look is definetly cool, don't get me wrong. I like the silky matte type finish myself.
Old 04-28-08, 07:07 AM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Thanks Mike, I'll have to try speeding it up a little. One more ?, what do you recommend for cleaning the pads? I tried searching here and didn't come up with a good specific answer.

My apologies to the OP for thread jacking. I'll shut up now!
I clean my pads with the Girt Guard pad cleaner and the provided solvent. It seems to do a pretty good job, AND it doesn't soak the pads too much to break down the adhesive backing. Prior to using that......I put them in the washing machine and washed them by themselves. It shortened the life of the pads though.

I have read, in a few places, some people use an all purpose cleaner and a garden hose to clean them.
Old 04-28-08, 07:15 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by The Detail Dude
Looks good Jim! I think most people have a 50/50 opinion on tire dressing. The high gloss look is definetly cool, don't get me wrong. I like the silky matte type finish myself.
I guess I fall into the majority (45%) of CL Forum members who voted for "Wetter is Better" look. This is purely subjective and there is no best look for everyone.

This is an interesting poll however, especially if you are marketing tire coating products for the consumer market. Over 60% of the respondents like the higher gloss look. (top two categories) I've sen this same results on the Vette forum a while ago as well. I guess a lot of us like bling.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/65208-tire-dressings.html
Old 04-28-08, 10:29 AM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

I'll keep that in mind for the future...... Maybe I'll get the wheels spinning again. Can't hurt.....
Old 04-28-08, 07:15 PM
jgtile
Driver

I just started detailing my cars and I used the Pinnacle Wheel & Tire Kit. Seems to work pretty well. I think I am going to try the Ultima brand next time.
Old 04-28-08, 08:07 PM
FMINUS
Rookie

Depends on the look you are looking for, I like a slight sheen, not extreme shine.
I go for CG VRP
Old 04-28-08, 09:27 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black Magic Titanium tire wet lasts a long time and sling is about as minimal as anything I have tried.