Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Got into the detailing game- got a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 07:11 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Got into the detailing game- got a few Q's

So ive gotten into the detailing game and im seeking your opinions and suggestions.

Today i hand washed,clay bar'ed, clean leather,clean vinyl,clean mats, NXT waxed on a Acura MDX

Well Ive been using the Detail dudes quick detailer and i must say its a good quick detailer.
It makes the car very smooth as there was already a coat of wax applied and smells good too

But what would be the difference between his stuff and Meguires quick detail stuff?

I would have to say the Detail dude's products are pretty good. Ive tested the vinyl cleaner and so far it looks pretty good. It leaves a nice matte finish on the dash and drys evenly.

I believe the quick detailer is pretty good since it does shine up the car fairly well for a small amount of spray.

I havent tried the leather conditioner yet but i will compare the lexus conditioner to some blue magic conditioner and the oem lexus conditioner.

Steps i took:
Hand washed
dry and check for any dripping water
Clay bar w/quick detailer
Go over car with quick detailer again
NXT 2.0 Wax applicator
15 minutes later wiped off excess with a MF towel

Any suggestions on my process?

Do you guys recommend me any more products for tires,windows, for dead bugs on the front end?

Sorry theres no pictures. I will post some tomorrow. im dead tired from clay baring a suv haha.
Old 04-26-08, 09:32 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to go with a pure polish (this is different from other polishes/compounds which clean the paint) which contains oil/paint conditioner and gives it a really deep, wet look. I use Meguiars Show Car Glaze every major detail.
You can also detail your engine bay from time to time to keep it looking new, and also clean out the door jambs as well (one of the most overlooked places)
Old 04-27-08, 08:14 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

i use quick detailer under the hood on the body panels, under the rrunk lid and in the door jambs because it wont harm the plastic trim and does a great job. not as tedious as washing.

i use meguiars quick detailer alot. i have some turtle wax int he garage im gonna try, cause sams was out of the megs.

a few tips others have given me:

-dont sell yourself short. charge what you need to charge to make decent money minus overhead. This is a business, not a game. If you were doing this full time, would you be able to live comfortable off what you are charging? if not, well...you know what to do.

-dont get brand loyal, there are a wide range of products that can do a wide range of things for a wide range of prices.

other than that, sounds like you are on your way. for black, dark blue, and dark green cars, i reccomend just plain old Megs Gold Class wax. it looks better on those dark colors than the NXT IMO.
Old 04-27-08, 01:56 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow extreme..did u recently open a detailing shop? want to detail my car? still remember the swirls on my black car? lol
Old 04-27-08, 05:56 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
i use quick detailer under the hood on the body panels, under the rrunk lid and in the door jambs because it wont harm the plastic trim and does a great job. not as tedious as washing.

i use meguiars quick detailer alot. i have some turtle wax int he garage im gonna try, cause sams was out of the megs.

a few tips others have given me:

-dont sell yourself short. charge what you need to charge to make decent money minus overhead. This is a business, not a game. If you were doing this full time, would you be able to live comfortable off what you are charging? if not, well...you know what to do.

-dont get brand loyal, there are a wide range of products that can do a wide range of things for a wide range of prices.

other than that, sounds like you are on your way. for black, dark blue, and dark green cars, i reccomend just plain old Megs Gold Class wax. it looks better on those dark colors than the NXT IMO.

Thanks for the tips! i dont think i would make this a business, more like a hobby. I did this for my own enjoyment and basically do the cars at my house

Thanks!

Originally Posted by tuan92129
You might want to go with a pure polish (this is different from other polishes/compounds which clean the paint) which contains oil/paint conditioner and gives it a really deep, wet look. I use Meguiars Show Car Glaze every major detail.
You can also detail your engine bay from time to time to keep it looking new, and also clean out the door jambs as well (one of the most overlooked places)

Thanks for the product suggession. How do you apply polish? Im afraid i would add to much or have a uneven application. Is it a 1 time thing where if you mess up it can ruin your cars finish?

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
wow extreme..did u recently open a detailing shop? want to detail my car? still remember the swirls on my black car? lol
haha. I just started detailing, so i dont think i would do this as a business but after i did the MDX, Man that thing looks clean now! spotless and shinning in the cali sun!
Old 04-27-08, 06:00 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

A note about the detail dude's leather conditioner.

The stuff is awesome. I got a sample with the other stuff i bought from him. But i actually think this leather conditioner is a little better then the Lexus leather conditioner

The Lexus conditioner leaves a semi-matte finish but also leaves a coat that feels like a wax coat over the leather.

But the detail dudes leather conditioner is about the same, but i would say it leaves more of a flat matte finish also doesnt smell to bad to. I hope this has sunscreen in the conditioner so it keeps the leather nice for the rest of its life.

Thanks Guys!