Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New Car question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 01:14 PM
spooks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car question

I've read and searched about detailing a new car and there was mixed opinions.

I just bought an IS250 (smokey) about 1.5 weeks ago and drove it out from CA to Las Vegas, there is the typical road debris.

I have not wash it yet and I was wondering if I should clay bar it first?? I'm torn between the Zaino and Meguiars products.

Zaino seems like a lot of work and preparation, but the results seemed worth it. I've always used Meguiars Gold Class, Quick Detail, and Paint Cleaner. I have never used a clay bar in my life, it seems like what a professional would use.

Being that I live in Las Vegas, the weather gets pretty intense, extreme heat, sand storms, and hard rain and water. I don't want to use a product that wont give me the protection my car needs.

Do I need to clay bar the car; even though it's new?? And what products would give the car the best protection?...since summer is near (110+ degrees).
Old 04-29-08, 02:12 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will get mixed opinion on whether or not you should clay the car. The best thing for you to do is wash it....then take a sandwich bag and put your fingers it in. Run your finger tips over the surface.....if it feels rough like sandpaper, then you need to clay it. Most of the time when you clay the surface you will get very light clear coat scratches....almost as you will when washing the car. You will need to polish it afterwords! Not only to remove that, but to remove other oils and contaminants as well. This will help give you a good solid foundation before applying your product of choice.

In heat like that I think it would be fair to say.....No Carnauba waxes! LOL If you want to do a wax, go with a synthetic. It will out perform natural waxes all day long. This will require you to apply it a few times a year....depending on the conditions. Nobody can predict daily fallout etc....only temps and rain. (sometimes)

To get a good feel for waxes and sealants, visit my website and go to the Ask Schmitty section. Scroll down and read about Sealants. I feel that would be the best avenue for you to go durability wise. Just remember...most OTC stuff that is mass produced typically cannot offer what Boutique type businesses can. That is why my products, Zaino, Menzurna, and others are not available in retail stores.