Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

rims + car wash = no no??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 07:23 AM
MATEOGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rims + car wash = no no??

got rims on my car now and i remember people always telling me that the tracks can scratch the outside of the rim. is this possible b/c I always pass and see guys with rims there.sometimes the same guys over and over so it must not be doing anything.what do you guys think. or
Old 05-12-08, 07:27 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

I say just wash your self to save your self a head ache, IF something is to happen.
Old 05-12-08, 07:48 AM
MATEOGS
Driver

thats wat i was thinking but its so hard to clean multi spoke wheels especially behing the face.
Old 05-12-08, 07:53 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Yup...tell me about it...but that's the part of life when you get into buying mesh wheels =) Do what I do, if you have siblings or your significant other has little siblings, have them do the work for you. lol
Old 05-12-08, 08:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MATEOGS
thats wat i was thinking but its so hard to clean multi spoke wheels especially behing the face.
Buy those soft brush made for wheels. Mothers makes one and you can find it at walmart. Just use regular soap and you should be able to get in between the meshies no problem. Just take your wheels out once a while to clean the inner barrel and the back of the spokes.
Old 05-12-08, 08:36 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

agree with saiji, mesh are definitely a hassle to clean (PITA). but i wouldnt have anyone clean my wheels but MUA. no one touches my car but me; + i know where every scratch is.

also, agree with gsteg, as i swap my wheels and oem's every couple of months. each time i swap, i make it a point to clean the inner barrels and behind the mesh. mine are so clean, i might even consider eating off them

oh ya car wash w/rails = NO NO! even hand car wash, nope. i wash mine myself.
Old 05-12-08, 08:37 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

LOL. You said it Jason. I'm bringing Apple Sauce to Jay's barbq so I could see you eat it off your wheels. lol. Youtube!!! lol
Old 05-12-08, 10:03 AM
MATEOGS
Driver

not meshies but they are multi spoke chromes...i think like 20 spokes i forgot but after i clean them i guess all of the bracke dust from behind is still there but i cant see it then i go for a ride and come back and theres light colored mud on my lips!!!!
Old 05-12-08, 10:05 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MATEOGS
not meshies but they are multi spoke chromes...i think like 20 spokes i forgot but after i clean them i guess all of the bracke dust from behind is still there but i cant see it then i go for a ride and come back and theres light colored mud on my lips!!!!
Yup. Happens to a lot of us.. =)
Old 05-12-08, 10:15 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Saiji
LOL. You said it Jason. I'm bringing Apple Sauce to Jay's barbq so I could see you eat it off your wheels. lol. Youtube!!! lol
awwwww crap what have i gotten myself into this time
i better get scrubbin! LOL
Old 05-12-08, 12:04 PM
KevMMA
Rookie

In general those kind of car wash's are not good for your paint. They will put fine scratch's (swirls) in your paint. Especially if your car is black its not a good idea to go through those kind of car washes.
Old 05-12-08, 12:25 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

It also depends on how wide your rims are. Those tracks are pretty wide and unless you have a rim wideer than 9-10, I think there is enough clearence, I still don't recommend it though.
Old 05-12-08, 12:30 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

I would never bring my car through a carwash with rails! Its a cardinal sin to even think of doing it b/c you're guaranteed to ****** your rims/tires. Some places have "rail-less" touchless carwashes where you drive you car halfway into the carwash and this mechanism with a rotating arm washes around your car...thats the only one i'd consider, but i usually wash it myself by hand.
Old 05-12-08, 01:05 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa guys... I dont know what kind of Car washes you guys go to... but I work at AutoBell and they have the side protectants so that your rims don't get scratched up. My friends all have 1,000 + dollar rims and won't hesitate to get their car washed there... Check it out to see if there's one in your location
Old 05-12-08, 03:36 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to try a good wheel cleaner, Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel/Aluminum/Chrome cleaners are good stuff. It got rid of my baked on brake dust and baked on tire shine with little to no agitation. Its literally spray on, let it dwell for a couple minutes, then spray it off with a strong stream of water. I usually reseal my rims with NXT 1.0 or 2.0 depending on whats around at the time. It works great for me so give it a try. Its about $6 and IMO worth every penny!

Quick Reply: rims + car wash = no no??