Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Just got shafted on a full detail

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 04:44 PM
amorphous
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got shafted on a full detail

For those of you that don't know me I've been detailing for 5 years in dealerships here in md. Anyways, I went to this guys house in va about an hour drive from my house to the guy. My sc isn't 100% at the moment so I rented a car to go to this guys house this past weekend to do this detail. I original told the guy my starting price is $100 and goes up from there (100 being wash+wax+interior clean). I get to the guy and he tells me price isn't a problem charge what I think is fair, so I don't consider discussing a price at the time (first mistake).

So I get there around 8:30 am, start detailing at 9. The car is a Porsche Boxter dark blue black interior. First I start off with washing the car. I clean the wheels inside the barrel and spokes and all. Then I remove all bugs from front bumper and caked on stuff on side skirts as well. I clean door jams and entire outside with Gold Class car wash. After that I bring it inside to work on the interior.

This guy leaves the top open all the time so there is a lot of pollen in the car. First I vaccumed the car using compressed air to get stuff I can't reach with vaccum. So thinking that he wants it perfect I go ahead and scrub the seats clean and door panels and everything else, I use a light to look at any spots I missed and took out all stains I find. After making sure car is spotless, I apply Lexiol all over vehicles interior, and I wipe it off with a dry rag (as it notes on the bottle). Again checking it with the light making sure I didn't miss anything and touching up the spots I missed. Clean the mats vaccumed again, double checked everything then moved on the the buffing.

Exterior wasn't bad, I compunded the front bumper with a wool pad getting off and the scratches from the bug sponge. Then polished the bumper, the moved to polishing the whole car. I didn't use clay bar on the whole car but only on select areas where there was some tree residue (did this before and during polish but made sure to repolish what I had used clay bar on). Wiped down whole car before waxing car (didn't kick up much polish all over) I let the wax harden before taking it off allowing it to last longer. I did buff the whole car including side skirts. Used black 3m polish pad will list all products at end of story.

I did the windows, re-checked everything from outside to in. Cleaned off the top with medium bristled brush and compressed air. Put on tire shine and made a few finishing touches and was done. All in all it took me from 9-5pm to finish. Granted I bs'ed for about a total hour, but I never ate lunch just worked through to get it finished. I told the guy today that it will cost him $360 for detail, 60=my travel expenses (not including rental car, but did includ gas) 300=actual detail. This guy tells me that is too much, he thought I told him 100 only. After discussing it with him I finally settled on $175. I feel I got shafted and those of you that have read this lmk your opinion. I want to know if I charged too much or was I right to charge what I did or should I charge more?

Materials used:
DeWalt High speed buffer 7' pad with 3m backing plate, wool pad, 3m black polish pad with waffles, stiff bristle brush for interior, micro fiber rags, ez paste wax yellow carnuba, gold class car wash, wheel acid from production car care products, wash mits, foam tire shine black magic, Lexiol leather conditioner, purple power multi purpose cleaner, windex, bug sponge, production pink synthetic compound, and 3m mirror glaze #7

Thanks for reading this novel,

jeff
Old 05-12-08, 04:56 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

years ago, i paid more for less. so faces for both of us.

i think you need to start putting together a rate card that you can stick to and pass on to your customers so once they see the good work, they can pass the card on to a friend. (that's my marketing degree kicking in)

good luck man!

c.
Old 05-12-08, 05:02 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually get people to sign a contract stating that they know the starting price and what is what. Thats how I try to avoid these situations

(You got shafted btw in my opinion) >.<
Old 05-12-08, 05:06 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

For a car of that size...i'd pay $215; which my detailer charges for a car of that size and the type of job you did.
Old 05-12-08, 07:08 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

thats sad...well you shud have told him and confirm with him before doing the work that the price is 360...if you did...then he low balled you...you got shafted!!
Old 05-12-08, 08:33 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You charge what your time is worth. Next time make clear the price ahead of time. I mean I can see his point to an extent, he obviously doesnt know how much work is involved and wasnt clear on price. but being a detailer myself, I know that is definitely a fair price if you put a lot of effort into it. I charge like 160-170 starters on a small car like that and thats not even swirl free heh. I charge. For a swirl free restoration I go by 50$ an hour.
Old 05-13-08, 05:40 AM
amorphous
Pole Position

I feel dumb not setting the price, but when he told me price is not a problem charge what you think is fair, that led me to believe that 360 was fair price for spending all day on the car on my free sat. to go to you and detail someones car. Also when I got to the guys house he had something like 50 acres of land, 18 horses, 8 car (6 classic vintage), a boat, and two bikes. I thought gee 360 shouldn't be bad.

It's my fault I admit that, but that is the reason why I only detail my car, bro's, and mom's no one elses cause everyone around md is cheap about detail I don't think va is any better. But for a good detailer one that knows what he is doing, I just feel like I got shafted bad, but it's my fault.

Thanks guys just needed to vent, kinda pi$$ed me off yesterday
Old 05-13-08, 11:34 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Just advertise locally by direct mail with fliers and you will get business. Thats what I do and I normally get like 4-5 customers per 500 fliers.
Old 05-17-08, 05:58 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

It sounds like you did a heck of a lot of work on the guy's car, and no doubt did a good job, but something you said troubles me a bit

Originally Posted by amorphous
when I got to the guys house he had something like 50 acres of land, 18 horses, 8 car (6 classic vintage), a boat, and two bikes. I thought gee 360 shouldn't be bad.
Why would it matter how much acreage he has, or how many horses, cars and other toys? It just sounds like maybe you thought...Hmmm, he obviously has tons of money, so why not charge more. IMHO, you should be basing your cost solely on the job itself, not his ability to pay more if you charge him more. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Last edited by Lexucan; 05-17-08 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-17-08, 08:48 AM
amorphous
Pole Position

The price is for work done not because he seems rich or anything. I included that fact because it seems that he is well off, 360 for 8 hours of work is even less then what a good detailer would charge. Because the car was small I decided that it would be best to charge him 300 for work done and 60 for my expenses to travel to him. Not to make it seem that I am gouging him on the price, believe me I am not that type of person, but I thought that a guy with that many toys would know that value of a hard days work. Not putting you on blast or anything, but I want to make it clear that I don't rip anyone off, have a fear of karma bitting me in my butt. 175 barely covered my expenses and work to me 175 is cheap. But as others said I have to post my prices and talk about it first
Old 05-17-08, 09:23 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Yup, instead of telling him initially that it was $100 and it only goes up from there, you should have taken a walk around with him and told him the final price/estimate and say it could be more, or it could be less.

BTW, you did get shafted. That's a lot of work on a car for only $175.
Old 05-17-08, 10:25 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

if he thinks ur going to travel there, spend 8 hours and get 100$, he is doing something illegal
Old 05-17-08, 10:49 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Always, always agree on the price before you start a job. I use a checksheet with my clients and have them sign off on what they want done prior to ever starting a job. I also take four or five photos of the car before and after. That way neither you nor they will be surprised when it's time to pay.

I can understand that your client was not thrilled to hear you wanted $360 for something he only heard the "around $100" part. He probably thought you were ripping him off. The problem is that you two did not have the same understanding of what this detail was worth. I place the blame for this misunderstanding mostly on your shoulders, sorry.

This is what I typically cover with my clients and maybe you can have something similar made up.

http://gallery.mac.com/jfelbab#10019...or=black&sel=0
Old 05-17-08, 08:31 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

You probably did a great job, but it was also alot more than what the customer was expecting, because of the lack of communication. You should have discussed the price and scope of work to be done before performing any work.

I always quote a starting price over the phone or email, then settle a final/fair price upon inspection of the vehicle. Once the price and scope of work is settled, the work can get started.

So, I don't necessarily think you got shafted, I think you did too much work for what the customer was willing to pay for. Next time, you'll know what to do.
Old 11-04-10, 07:26 PM
Novoken
Pole Position

I think it was a fair price. I spent 3 hours in my 335i and didnt do half of the things you did. So I imagine 5 hours worth.

Quick Reply: Just got shafted on a full detail