Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

clean engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 01:13 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clean engine bay

Hey what would u guys say is safe to clean my engine bay with?for instance to spray it down with degreaser or brake dust cleaner then hit it with a air compressor.
Old 05-13-08, 01:28 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Most detail shops can steam clean it.
Old 05-13-08, 02:19 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

cover distributor, battery and alternator. Spray with simple green and rinse with low pressure mist spray. Also do not pour a lot of water on top of the valve cover where the the spark plug valley is cause it will fill with water.
Old 05-13-08, 02:41 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard of people using WD-40 on plastic pieces. It leaves a nice shine.
Old 05-14-08, 12:12 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your engine is not too dirty you can just go for one of the off the shelf citrus degreasers. Cover the essential electronic components, spray the degreaser on a WARM (not hot....warm) engine, leave it on for 10 minutes or so then rinse with a water hose - no pressure nozzle on the hose. Crank up the engine for 2-4 minutes to warm it up again and this will speed along the drying process (leave hood open for a while).

Im not a big simple green fan because it tends to bleach out some plastics and is known to etch/spot aluminum.

For the plastic covers and hoses just use whatever tire dressing you have - armor all, etc.
Old 05-14-08, 12:21 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
I've heard of people using WD-40 on plastic pieces. It leaves a nice shine.
Dried out my hoses the first time I used it so I advise against it. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant now. Its usually found at a marine store or online. If you're in SoCal and you are right by Beach Blvd, go to Super Autobacs, they are having a sale on a 16oz bottle for $11 or something
Old 05-14-08, 05:25 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

Default idle speed controller

think my idle speed controller is bad after that spray down! my car wont idle and it doesnt rev normally, its revs slow and sputters while revving. i can disconnect my idle speed controller and nothing changes. i also smell gas.

Last edited by gdc5ind; 05-14-08 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 05:10 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

Default Done!!

Done with N/A sc300.... just purchased a soarer r154 clip.fallow my build here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=355460
Old 05-15-08, 05:57 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Did you spray some water into some part you weren't supposed to? O.o
Old 05-15-08, 06:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Many issues can arise from improper prep work before cleaning. Spend as much time on the prep as on the cleaning itself.

I clean all of my engines once a month but I am also one of those **** folks that cannot stand a dirty motor. Some of the cleanest cars on this site have the dirtiest motors.

This is the method I use, I'm sure others use other methods that work for them.

1) First I place plastic bags over any electrical connections, ecu, fuse box, etc...
2) Rag in the intake pipe to prevent water from entering there. Make sure you remove it later.
3) Cover the vents below the windshield as any chemicals you place in there will get sucked into the car when venting fresh air.
4) I wet the entire front of the car including fenders so that anything concentrated does not harm the wax/paint.
5) Use mild cleaning detergent if the engine is only dirty and engine degreaser for a serious clean. Engine degreaser will spot up the hoses so a good cleaning is in order afterwards.

6) Wash it down good but I do not recommend any pressure washing-why would you need it? I would rather not risk forcing water into areas that should not receive it.

7) Once dry, spray protectant on the entire motor and let it sit for 10 minutes, then wipe off the excess.

On I6 equipped cars watch out for water entering and getting trapped where the spark plugs are as the middle plugs have a tendency to get water in the plug area/threads and prevent the plug from firing properly.

Some pics of my engine cleans:

The 928 still needs a little more cleaning but it is a 20 year old car.
Hope that helps

Old 05-15-08, 06:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gdc5ind
think my idle speed controller is bad after that spray down! my car wont idle and it doesnt rev normally, its revs slow and sputters while revving. i can disconnect my idle speed controller and nothing changes. i also smell gas.
Read above, if you have an I6, sounds like water in the plugs. Pull plugs, clean well, and reinstall.
Old 05-15-08, 07:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

pearlpower, are the 944 and 928 yours? lucky s.o.b. lol very nice, and the lexus too
Old 05-15-08, 07:13 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd93
pearlpower, are the 944 and 928 yours? lucky s.o.b. lol very nice, and the lexus too
Thanks, 968 Cab, 928S4. Great little cars. 928 is a PITA to work on though. Just put a new computer in it. Money pit.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-15-08 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 09:44 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, a mod I have never seen before. Helloo

Nice cars btw
Old 05-16-08, 08:53 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gdc5ind
Like I told you when you PMed me make sure you do not fill that area where the spark plugs are or your car will not run right. Take the throttle body off and remove that plate and pull the spark plugs and let everything air dry for a couple hours. Also get some plug wire dry from the parts store. It will get those plug boots dried out.

Quick Reply: clean engine bay