Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

can't keep my iforged wheels shiny!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 07:38 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't keep my iforged wheels shiny!!!

hey guys well im not used to having nice polished wheels..

ive been using wheel cleaner and really whiping down my wheels before and after i wash it.. but my wheels look kinda splotchy and kinda like have rain spots.. even after i wipe them forever.. i dunno what to do..??

anything you guys could recommend?
Old 05-17-08, 09:58 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lextasy89

ive been using wheel cleaner and really whiping down my wheels before and after i wash it.. but my wheels look kinda splotchy and kinda like have rain spots.. even after i wipe them forever.. i dunno what to do..??

I have a set of Iforged high polished wheels as well, lets just say that I feel your pain.

The best I have been able to do is by a mothers powerball, which works very well to shine it up. Then you can put some wheel wax / protectant on afterwards. While I was living in GA I could get by with doing this once a month to keep them looking great and chrome like.

Tirerack sells some decent wheel wax

The powerball and a cordless drill will get them polished up in about 15mins.
Old 05-18-08, 03:10 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Just get any type of metal/chrome polish and apply as if it were wax.

I personally have Meguiars
Old 05-18-08, 11:46 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Polished wheels are a pain in the a** to keep looking new. It's definitely worth it to have them clear coated when they're brand new, before they even get mounted on the car.
Old 05-18-08, 01:58 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meg's NXT metal polish with MF applicator pad does wonders...I've had my Iforged wheels for awhile now and they still look like new...But it does takes a bit of time, about 10-15 mins per wheel for good results... Its better to rub into the metal until it turns black..Do one section at a time for the best results...Repeat as ness...

You can also clay the lips prior to polish it does help a little...Makes polishing easier without all the contaminants in the way...

Powerball works good for those with polished inner barrels...But I find it hard to reach in small areas since because of its shape...I got slighty better results by hand...
Old 05-19-08, 04:56 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by One HoT
Meg's NXT metal polish with MF applicator pad does wonders...I've had my Iforged wheels for awhile now and they still look like new...But it does takes a bit of time, about 10-15 mins per wheel for good results... Its better to rub into the metal until it turns black..Do one section at a time for the best results...Repeat as ness.....
Exactly right. I discovered the NXT back in 2004 and it was a gift from above! LOL. I couple more things I noticed,

-It works better on warm sunny days
-remove the polish with a yellow flannel towel (you can get them from Walmart). They leave a more chrome-like shine and less streaks.
Old 05-19-08, 12:04 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One Grand Metal 300 Polish will give you this look : YES IT IS an aluminium wheel !

Last edited by Lexkost; 06-13-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-09-08, 10:14 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having this same issue with my iforged aeros. I will pick up a powerball and see how it works
Old 06-09-08, 10:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pssh kids nowdays... in the old days we'd get the tube of Blue Magic and use 2 fingers and a towel until it would no longer turn black... ahh nothing like the look of Blue Magic
Old 06-09-08, 11:33 PM
SpecC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lextasy89

wheel cleaner is a bad idea for aftermarket wheels... I've heard that the iforged ones already have inconsistent paint. Wheel cleaner is basically a slightly acidic degreaser, and it's too strong for most aftermarket wheels. I don't mean to shoot you down, but this is just from my knowledge.

I would stop using that all together and just use regular car soap on it. Also, I would pick up some polish (Klasse AIO is the one i use on wheels) and apply that by hand on your wheels to try restore some shine. If you have a lip, I'd suggest you use some Klasse AIO on that too. If it's bare metal, any metal polish will work great.
Old 06-10-08, 06:17 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

ditto on not using the wheel cleaner on iforged high polish, eventhe ones that say it is safe can and have messed up polished wheels.
Old 06-11-08, 12:19 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Would you guys agree that clear coated high polish wheels would not have the same problems with retaining the shine? I think tha I want high polished but don't want to have to powerball at each wash. Please advise.
Old 06-11-08, 02:09 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yea Clear coat is the way to go, if you ask me and if I remember correctly Iforged is supposed to have a really good clear coat process. I dont think it was always top notch but my understanding is that it is first rate at this point.