Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing the Lex

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 11:07 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madmax:
Yah, like French Fries.... they call them Fritz in France.
But really, I think these two products are made by the "California" car care company.

The blade is just super. It is a silicone rubber windshield wiper mounted on a rubberized handle. You use it to wisk off water from the surface of you car after washing. It is just a super product. It also comes in a handy plastic holder. I saw it on Speed Vision when they did a special show on car care. Got it at PepBoys. The duster is there too. They even have a "small" one for the inside of the car.

Back to the California Duster...
How do you keep IT clean or clean it? Is it washable?
I can see it getting funky and then what??
Old 02-13-02, 03:32 PM
amati5
Driver

Originally posted by VQT
amati5,

You make me sick Get to park in door for both at work and at home

He he, what can i cay. To make you feel better, i only drive 5 miles to work in stop and go traffic and that's is a real purnishment My wife always complains why the hell i take so long to get milk from the market on Saturday mornings

Last edited by amati5; 02-13-02 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-13-02, 03:35 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Originally posted by Red93sc400
Ryan:
As a former detailer, what did you use to dry the car after washing and what was the witches brew you used on the windows, especially the inside?
We used chamios to dry the car off. They work awesome but need a little break in time. Brand new chamios suck but after rinsing 4 or 5 cars the chamios should be broken in enough and work a lot better. As for window cleaner we used a product that was similar to Windex. Cleaning the windows is the worst part of washing a car. But since it has to be done, I spray a lot of window cleaner on the window. Then I take about a dozen or so of those shop towels and stack them up. I use one side of the stack to get most of the cleaner of the window. Then when the window is about dry I flip the stack of towels over to the dry side and wipe the window again. This gets the swirls out. It is a pretty good technique
Old 02-13-02, 03:58 PM
amati5
Driver

Originally posted by Red93sc400
Madmax:
Yah, like French Fries.... they call them Fritz in France.
But really, I think these two products are made by the "California" car care company.

The blade is just super. It is a silicone rubber windshield wiper mounted on a rubberized handle. You use it to wisk off water from the surface of you car after washing. It is just a super product. It also comes in a handy plastic holder. I saw it on Speed Vision when they did a special show on car care. Got it at PepBoys. The duster is there too. They even have a "small" one for the inside of the car.

Back to the California Duster...
How do you keep IT clean or clean it? Is it washable?
I can see it getting funky and then what??
If you want to try it out, go to Costco to get both (sometimes they are out of them, just wait), the small one for your dash, the big one for the exterior, for $12. If you get them anywhere else, you pay too much.

They say the older it gets, the better it works. I have them for about 5 years now and they still work just like new if not better. Just shake off the dust after use and put it back in its bag. The best 12 bucks i spent on cars so far.
Old 02-14-02, 10:29 AM
007lexus
Driver

The other day I was watching the speedvision channel and they had a car detailing segment(cant recall the name). Anyways the two guys had a Meguliars rep. showing how to detail the paint job on older cars. It said there was a 3-5 step system to waxing the car.

Can anyone here who details their lex to the EXTREME recommend the steps/process to take EXTRA care of our paint job(the gloss and protection from the sun)???

Please be precise in your info and techniques.

Everyone feel free to jump in.

thanks a bunch in advance,
Old 02-16-02, 02:41 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Washing, I like Mother's California Gold or Gliptone PH-balanced soap with a mit and a chamois. Windows, Sprayway foam, the best. I like to cut the paint a bit with 3M Microfinish or Malco Tru-Grit and an adjustable-speed wheel, then I choose from a couple of products depending on the finish and colour for the next step, perfect-it or whichever, most important to me is 3M Imperial or Malco Plum Crazy hand glaze, especially on a dark car, glaze works better by hand than by machine. Some like to use a cleaner wax here. I like the Zymol paste wax, been usin' it for years, so do prof. detailers I know. Art uses Zaino Bros. and I hear their product is excellent. For quick waxes I use Malco Flash. Wheels, I only use soap and water on mine (I have tons of different wheel cleaners though, the Malco Brake Off is strong and gentle on clear coat, it's actually based on the old oven cleaners) I just keep on top of it, not letting it build up ever. Tyres, Westley's Bleche-White, then Malco Ultimate Premium Dressing. For heavy cutting, scratch removal, whatever, I use 3M Perfect-It II fine cut paste and a moist terry bonnet or dense foam. Interior, Malco carpet/upholstery cleaner, Malco Perfect10, then 3M Scotchguard. For the leather, only Lexol cleaner and conditioner. Is that specific enough for you?