Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing the Lex

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-02 | 02:39 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Washing the Lex

How often a week do you guys wash your Lex?

4 times a week for me
Leather also gets treated once a week.

I am **** about keeping my cars clean. I even wax the underside of the hood in my RX-7.
Old 02-12-02 | 02:58 PM
skininja
Rookie

Yeah people around here think I am nuts even for washing my car 2-3 times a week. I would like to wax my car every other week, but the weather hasn't cooperated lately ... I spend way too much money on car cleaners and the like.
Old 02-12-02 | 03:04 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I hear ya man. Being up here in Michigan in no better. I just feel better when the car is clean.
Old 02-12-02 | 04:25 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

I have two modes for washing cars... Winter and Summer. In the summer the SC gets a bath twice a week at most. I use the California blade to do most of the drying and the leaf blower to do the final dryoff.

In the winter, which I hate, it is a different issue and it kills me to see salt spray on the cars. I go to the local carwash once a week or more after the roads dry out if the weather is brutal cold. If on the weekend it is nice I may chance a self done hand wash.

For the most part I use either Zaino or Meguires car wash and a terry mitt. The wheels and tires get done at the end with a sponge.
Old 02-12-02 | 07:13 PM
XTC
Driver

you will alll hate me, but i wash the car like once every 3 weeks. It stays so clean out here, hardly rains, nice sun, no snow. I do get it detailed nicely, i mean nice (buffing, shampoo, wax), every other month.
Old 02-12-02 | 07:55 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

I wash mine at least once a week. And wax her at least once every three weeks. I treat the leather once every quarter.

Last edited by moshlub; 02-13-02 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-12-02 | 08:27 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Default Re: Washing the Lex

I used to be a Detailer at a Toyota Dealership and I would wash my car 1 or 2 times a week. I would do a full detail on it (wax, shampoo interior, treat leather, paint undercarriage/wheel wells, etc.) about every 1 or 2 months. Now I don't work there anymore and my car gets washed about once a month. As soon as I get my new paintjob and wheels I am sure I will be washing it a couple of times a week

Originally posted by JohnnySC

Leather also gets treated once a week.
I would be careful about treating your leather this often. Leather conditioners (protectants, cleaners, etc.) can cause the leather to dry out and crack. You shouldn't need to treat it that often anyways. 4-6 times a year is about all you should need to treat the leather.
Old 02-13-02 | 07:59 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Ryan:
As a former detailer, what did you use to dry the car after washing and what was the witches brew you used on the windows, especially the inside?

I learned a trick from the Lexus detailer...

When washing and drying windows on the inside use vertical towel movements and on the outside use horizontal movements. Then if you see some film when all is dry the direction of the film streaks tells you if the film is on the inside or outside of the window. Works great. These little tips make life easier.

You got one for us?

Have you tried the leaf blower trick for car drying? It is outstanding. If you have a dark colored car that shows towel swirl marks, then the leaf blower drying is a way to extend you showroom finish.

You have to be cautious about over enriching the leather of your seats. Taken to the extreem, the leather gets very soft and stitching tears or elongates holes. Also you get incredible gassing on the inside of the glass from the oils in the hot summer days.
Old 02-13-02 | 08:10 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

use wadded up newspaper and some glass cleaner to get the film off the inside of your windows.
Old 02-13-02 | 08:36 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

"The Absorber" works VERY well for drying. Get it at your auto parts store or at Walmart and places like that.
Old 02-13-02 | 08:38 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Howie, what is up with the guy trying to low ball you on your HIDs in the classified section.
Old 02-13-02 | 08:42 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

i dunno
Old 02-13-02 | 10:20 AM
amati5
Driver

If you own a California Duster, you may not have to wash your car that often . I only wash my car 2-4 times a year, but use the duster whenever needed. I also park my car indoor for both at work and home.

You'll be amazed how well the duster work.
Old 02-13-02 | 10:45 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I live in california and I have never heard of a California blade or a California duster... I guess it's like being in France... can't expect to order french fries there. All us rich, flashy Californians tend to keep our cars washed, but I'd bet I'm the only person in this county that actually washes his own car. I wash it probably 4 times from October to March. During the summer I wash it about once a week.
Old 02-13-02 | 10:47 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

amati5,

You make me sick Get to park in door for both at work and at home

Originally posted by amati5
If you own a California Duster, you may not have to wash your car that often . I only wash my car 2-4 times a year, but use the duster whenever needed. I also park my car indoor for both at work and home.

You'll be amazed how well the duster work.

Quick Reply: Washing the Lex