Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is this Fair price for Detai?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 10:13 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Fair price for Detai?

Ok i went to a highly recomended detailer today. They are local porche dealers detailer they use. I have heard they are a little pricey, but do great work. I took my car to them and he looked it over. I told him I was going to replace my leather inside because it was nasty and he said give me a sec to show you what I can do and see if i can save you some money. He cleaned one seat and i could not beleive the difference. I want to know what he had in that bottle. he sprayed it on and just use fabric brush to scrub and sponge to wipe off and other than cracks it looks brand new. He said he had a guy that could spray leather and hide the cracks. What do you all think about that?

Now to the cost. inside and out including engine and scrubing my seats like the other. Full shampoo, tires scrubed, wheels scrubbed. It was called there ultimate detail. Machine polish and wax for total of 229.00. He said he could do a extinsive buff and polish for 200 more which is color sanding multi stage cutting and removing fine scratches. He went over the whole car and said to remove the 6 small dents i had would be 100 dollars and 100 more for all rock chips.

I am going to get the ultimate detail first and see what i think then the extinsive buff and polish later and decide on how bad i want the dents and nicks fixed. I told him I was thinking of getting it repainted and he said to let him show me what he could do and he would change my mind.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. what do you all think?
Old 05-21-08, 10:30 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

229 for all that work is simply amazing...
Old 05-21-08, 10:40 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

what is normal cost for that?
Old 05-21-08, 10:46 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its fair price...price usually depends on the area, how much work need to be done, and the experience...

seems like your car need a lot of correction interior and exterior wise...so i would say its a fair price...

an average full detail like that can even range from 150-400 depending on the factors mention above...
Old 05-21-08, 10:57 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

yea my leather is nasty as heck. car is 10 years old and has 159,000 miles
Old 05-21-08, 11:16 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

lol...good luck to whoever is gonna work on ur car...
Old 05-22-08, 07:59 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

When he said a machine polish and wax he was probably talking about an all-in-one product cleaner wax. Since he gave you a price of $200 more for an extensive polish and buff that was probably for a dedicated polishing step that would remove most of the swirls. For this type of job, the price is about right.

Some questions to ask him...
•Ask if claying is included in that price.
•Clarify what he means by machine polish and wax. Is this a one step cleaner/wax step or two step dedicatd polish and dedicated wax process.
•What products will he be using for polishing and waxing? (Carnauba wax or sealant) Ask what brands are used?
•What machine is he refering to when he says "machine polish and wax"?
•Interior cleaning include carpet shampoo and extraction?
•Is a leather conditioner used after the leather cleaning?
•Observe his shop and tools. How clean and orderly is it? How well lit? Ask to see some vehicles he has just completed.
•Does he warrant his work?
•Is he insured?
•Does he have any customers you can speak with for a reference?
•Has he had any customer disputes and how were they resolved?

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-22-08 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 04:43 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
When he said a machine polish and wax he was probably talking about an all-in-one product cleaner wax. Since he gave you a price of $200 more for an extensive polish and buff that was probably for a dedicated polishing step that would remove most of the swirls. For this type of job, the price is about right.

Some questions to ask him...
•Ask if claying is included in that price.
•Clarify what he means by machine polish and wax. Is this a one step cleaner/wax step or two step dedicatd polish and dedicated wax process.
•What products will he be using for polishing and waxing? (Carnauba wax or sealant) Ask what brands are used?
•What machine is he refering to when he says "machine polish and wax"?
•Interior cleaning include carpet shampoo and extraction?
•Is a leather conditioner used after the leather cleaning?
•Observe his shop and tools. How clean and orderly is it? How well lit? Ask to see some vehicles he has just completed.
•Does he warrant his work?
•Is he insured?
•Does he have any customers you can speak with for a reference?
•Has he had any customer disputes and how were they resolved?
Yea the 200 is for multistage cutting and color sanding. he has some awesome pics on website of a 97 ls400 black he did. he uses meguiars i know but that may not be the only brand.
shampoo and extraction is included in the ultimate detail. engine bay and inside is fully processed. leather is thorougly cleaned and conditioned.
seen cars and been to his shop and had many referreals. Hell he is autorized detailler for porche dealer in my city. everything checks out, just a little bit higher than some of the carwashes around town ive seen and their detaillers.
he used rotary to buff and tapes everything off to keep from messing anything up.
Old 05-22-08, 05:02 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

sounds great to me...go for it! post up pics after the detail...
Old 05-23-08, 12:08 AM
TRDANB
Driver School Candidate

WOW yea i would definately get that done especially if its a recommended porsche detailer, here in cali thats an awesome deal in my opinion i've seen jobs like that go for well over $400 in my area without any machine work just simple one step polish/wax. Can't wait to see the pics =D