Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Maintenance After Full Detail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 09:09 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maintenance After Full Detail?

Ok guys, I'm planning on taking my car tomorrow for a full detail possibly inside & out. Clay, polish, wax and all that good stuff on the outside ... What I want to know is:

1) Anyone know a really good detailer in Miami, Kendall area?

2) After the detail, what's the best way to maintain the finish (after it rains, or when it gets dusty)? Is there a certain product that's meant just for that? If so, what's it called and where can I get it?

3) How long should I wait before removing the old wax or getting re-waxed?

4) How long should I wait before claying again?

-Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time I'm goin to have my car detailed and I don't want to screw anything up
Old 05-23-08, 10:43 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Ok guys, I'm planning on taking my car tomorrow for a full detail possibly inside & out. Clay, polish, wax and all that good stuff on the outside ... What I want to know is:

1) Anyone know a really good detailer in Miami, Kendall area?
Great place to search is autopia.org
2) After the detail, what's the best way to maintain the finish (after it rains, or when it gets dusty)? Is there a certain product that's meant just for that? If so, what's it called and where can I get it?
2 bucket system when you wash the car. For quick details, use a Quick Detailer, Meguiar's Ultimate QD is very good OTC stuff since its hydrophobic. The thing is to be careful because there is a point where you cannot use QD on your car if it gets dirty enough
3) How long should I wait before removing the old wax or getting re-waxed?
Depends on what wax the guy is using. Some last longer than others but you can always layer a new one on top of the old if you would like, it wouldn't do any harm
4) How long should I wait before claying again?
Most of us do it twice a year. Depending on how you store the car, outside or inside, it may be more or less. Take for instance, during the CA fires I had to clay immediately after so typically I clayed 4 times last year
-Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time I'm goin to have my car detailed and I don't want to screw anything up
Good luck mate
(10 char even though i typed above? )
Old 05-23-08, 10:50 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
(10 char even though i typed above? )
Thanks man, off the top of your head which stores usually carry the QD? How often should it be used? Once a week, twice? My car is not garaged at night it sits in the driveway and during the day it sits in the sun while I'm at work. I'm guessing a MF towel would be best to use with the QD?

-Sorry guys I'm new to this
Old 05-23-08, 11:23 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u can get it at like autozone or pepboys. also costco has the jumbo packs of microfibers!
Old 05-23-08, 12:29 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

i found the costco MF towels to be rather rough ( did the CD test)...the Target's orange Vroom towels seems better if you want to go the cheap packs route....
Old 05-23-08, 12:49 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by radicalrev
i found the costco MF towels to be rather rough ( did the CD test)...the Target's orange Vroom towels seems better if you want to go the cheap packs route....
Nah I don't like buying cheap stuff, I have a couple cheapie MF towels at home but I'm planning on buying a waffle weave towel, I heard that they're great
Old 05-23-08, 02:29 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Autopia.org. There is a tremendous amount of information on that website with answers to probably any question you can think of. I didn't have a clue on car care until I found that site.
Old 05-23-08, 04:38 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Thanks man, off the top of your head which stores usually carry the QD? How often should it be used? Once a week, twice? My car is not garaged at night it sits in the driveway and during the day it sits in the sun while I'm at work. I'm guessing a MF towel would be best to use with the QD?

-Sorry guys I'm new to this
Ultimate Quick Detailer is sold at Target, Walmart, Autozone, etc. Its always in the car section in the washing isle. If you really want to get fancy, set yourself up with this:

http://www.meguiars.com/?detailer-pa...Spray-Detailer

Use QD when there is a light amount of dust on the car. It can also be used to clean your windows and to remove fresh bird crap. How often you use it is up to you but the more dirt thats on the car means a greater risk of scratching your paint. Use a quality microfiber to use the QD with. Cheap stuff may cause problems later down the line
Old 05-23-08, 06:58 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UQD should be kept next to your bed and under your pillow after a full detail...This stuff works miracles, simply the best QD out there in the market...Keeps the paint looking fresh and deep for months at a time...
Old 05-23-08, 08:01 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

imo...to dry buy The Absorber....it works like a charm...
Old 05-24-08, 12:53 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by One HoT
UQD should be kept next to your bed and under your pillow after a full detail...This stuff works miracles, simply the best QD out there in the market...Keeps the paint looking fresh and deep for months at a time...
Its called M135 in the Professional line

for bulk!
Old 05-24-08, 10:56 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Its called M135 in the Professional line

for bulk!
Is it the one that says Final Inspection on it?
Old 05-24-08, 11:43 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Pictures !! Sorry bout the crappy quality ...

^^^^Can You Say Mirror Finish?!^^^^

Old 05-24-08, 11:55 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Meguiars QD after your washes. I barely sometimes use the "ICE" from Turtle Wax. I bought that before getting the Meguiars QD and don't want to waste it.
Old 05-24-08, 11:55 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

One more question, which WW towel would be better to use to dry my car after it rains?

This one:
http://www.autopia.org/shopping/prod...x-24-inch.html

or

This one:
http://www.autopia.org/shopping/prod...owel-Pkg2.html

-Thanks in advance ...

Quick Reply: Maintenance After Full Detail?