Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Have my supplies - now need guidance!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 06:09 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Have my supplies - now need guidance!

Guys,

I got all my detailing stuff in and am now ready to get to work. I am working on a black car that has some scratches and the paint is pretty dull.

There are my tools

PC7424
Pads - orange, white, blue, green, grey.
Poorboys World - SSR1 (super swirl remover)
Poorboys World - SSR2.5 (super swirl remover)
Poorboys World Polish Easy On/Off
Poorboys World Spray & Gloss
Poorboys World Spray & Wipe
Mothers Clay Bar
Natty's Paste Wax.

What order do I do this in and what pads do I use for each step??

Thanks guys,
Jonny
Old 05-30-08, 06:36 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-Wash
-Clay bar with lubricant
-Tape up trim (you'll thank me later)
-**Never used PB products so someone else has to do this part**
-Wash again to get off the remaining dust (optional of course)
-I usually wipe the car down right about now with a 50/50 solution of distilled water and alcohol to get off the oils left by anything
-Wax that sucker x2 to ensure even coverage
-Sit back and enjoy your work
Old 05-30-08, 07:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

I got all my detailing stuff in and am now ready to get to work. I am working on a black car that has some scratches and the paint is pretty dull.

There are my tools

PC7424
Pads - orange, white, blue, green, grey.
Poorboys World - SSR1 (super swirl remover)
Poorboys World - SSR2.5 (super swirl remover)
Poorboys World Polish Easy On/Off
Poorboys World Spray & Gloss
Poorboys World Spray & Wipe
Mothers Clay Bar
Natty's Paste Wax.

What order do I do this in and what pads do I use for each step??

Thanks guys,
Jonny
After washing claying and then washing again you will want to choose the polish and pad combination that will best get rid of your swirls and scratches. I would say a medium polish and a orange pad would be the best starting point. I have not used Poorboys products but I would go with a semi aggressive polish but not a compound or heavy polish unless there are some really stubborn scratches/oxidation. Remember to put pressure on the PC when you are working it and go over the section several times until the polish has worked itself in and is almost gone. Check the section you did under halogens or flouresants to see if you got rid of all the defects. If you did then do the whole car with the same process. I would start with the hood as that is where you generally need to do the most work and correcting. If you still have some defects you might want to go over the spot again or switch to a more aggressive polish or pad but a orange pad should take care of most defects. Once you are done you can either finish up with a milder polish(which I generally find is not needed and makes no real difference or just wipe off all residue and wash the car again. Then I would recommend using a good All In One base sealant like Klass or Jeff Werkstatt AP and depending on what you get either put a few coats of that or a couple coats of secondary gloss sealant like JW AG. After that you can put the Natty's Paste Wax for more depth to your finish. If you have a Natty's carnuba wax like Natty's blue that might not offer the protection and durability you are looking for and you probrably want to get a synthetic sealant which will last much longer and provide much more protection. Klass products are very good, Zaino and Jeff Werkstatt are excellent. Mequirs NXT 2 is a decent over the counter sealant wax. Colinite 476 is the only good carnuba that lasts as long and protects as well as synthetics, actaully it outperforms most sealants.