Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

newb here

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 06:52 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb here

Hi everybody,

I'm a newb to the handwash, detailing world and was just wondering if there was a guide for amateurs like me? just got my first brand new car (IS350) and I'm dying to give it its first wash/wax but realized making it look its best is much more complicated than just washing it with shampoo and was wondering what the details were like what kind of towels i should use and what not...

thanks
Old 06-30-08, 07:34 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
Hi everybody,

I'm a newb to the handwash, detailing world and was just wondering if there was a guide for amateurs like me? just got my first brand new car (IS350) and I'm dying to give it its first wash/wax but realized making it look its best is much more complicated than just washing it with shampoo and was wondering what the details were like what kind of towels i should use and what not...

thanks
Try this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=357795
Old 06-30-08, 08:39 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

Also, check out autopia.org. There are tons of "how to" threads from proper washing techniques to machine polishing, etc. There is also tons of info on different products.
Old 07-01-08, 05:10 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

The link Jim posted is pretty good and gives you a good foundation For drying, I always use microfiber waffle weave drying towels. Usually takes 2 to get a vehicle completely dry.
After reading Jim's post, let us know what other questions you might have. Theres obviously an array of different products that you can use as well and everyone will have their favorites
Old 07-01-08, 10:03 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated, I was looking at meguiars website though and was wondering what the difference between their NXT and the gold class shampoo is?
Old 07-01-08, 11:41 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Mike Phillips mouth:

"NXT wash foams more than Gold Class. Gold Class is the same thing but it does not foam as much, rather proving itself by its slickness"

I also found through experience that NXT is a bit stronger with taking off protection than Gold Class
Old 07-01-08, 02:09 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

You'll find that some soaps will foam more than others. Surprisingly, soaps with the anti-foaming agents are typically more expensive to manufacture than those w/ foam I'm a sucker for a good foaming soap via foam gun though.. so give me suds
Old 07-02-08, 10:18 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I see, so what do you guys suggest then? NXT? I was at autozone the other day and was overwhelmed by the huge assortment of waxes/shampoos/polishes and accessories, and attempting to try each one would really burn a hole in my pocket lol
Old 07-02-08, 10:29 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
I see, so what do you guys suggest then? NXT? I was at autozone the other day and was overwhelmed by the huge assortment of waxes/shampoos/polishes and accessories, and attempting to try each one would really burn a hole in my pocket lol
I have hard water in my area so NXT is my choice. Good lubricity, lots of long lastings suds and safely removes dirt and not your wax. Price is right too. Gold Class Wash is good too but not as much suds in hard water.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-02-08 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo