Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 02:48 PM
LHARTWICK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car cover?

I'm a brand new IS 250 owner (less than a week)! Just wondering if any of you use a car cover, and, if so, what type/brand?
Old 07-08-08, 03:08 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried using a car cover, but is started leaving scratches behind.
You should ideally use it right after a wash to keep the car clean, but after driving it, theres a fine layer of dust on it that will start scratching like crazy.
Old 07-08-08, 03:38 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I've been using a california car cover with no problems. Give them a call and explain how the car will be kept and they'll recommend one for you. I'm on my second one and wouldnt hesitate getting another.
Old 07-08-08, 04:30 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default Have used car covers since 1969 -

The best ones in the world came from Beverly Hills Motoring, in CA until they closed down. The next best place has been California Car Covers. I have had many from them. You need to decide if you are covering it outside more than inside, and how heavy and bulky do you want it to be or not ? I have had great results with covers made of NexTec material, its really light and compresses into a really small package when off the car. The only drawback to a really light, weatherproof cover is that its hard to put on and take off of a really smooth surface in windy conditions. I think I have another one that is made of WeatherShield which is also nice for my needs. You will want to try to put each side up on top of the car in a long line, front to back, then start rolling it from the back so that when done the front is on top. That way when you put it on next time, you place it on the hood, and roll it all the way back to the front, and pull down the sides, pull the front and back on tight, and you are done. The best place to start taking it off or on is the side mirrors which will help hold it up. As already said, if your car is clean the cover wont scratch it - most have a soft liner inside to help this. I can tell you this, if you use it all the time, you will be washing your car alot less.. The trade off is you have to put it on and off alot.. Your car will also get less damaged by the sun, birds, etc.. when the cover is on. If its not ever very windy and/or you can have another set of hands sometimes, it is a great way to keep that car new. The lighter covers dry quicker when rained on, so that also is something to consider if you get alot of that..
Good luck with your project ! DanF

Last edited by Stokdgs; 07-08-08 at 04:34 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 07-08-08, 04:47 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you guys clean/wash the car cover?

I just bought this Noah Covercraft with lock and bag.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A1009A0A0.aspx

Old 07-08-08, 09:23 PM
vassey50
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...here's a thread that might help you out...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=car+cover