Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need some recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 03:42 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some recommendations

Hey guys, my car is in the shop and the bumpers and trunk are being painted. My question is how long do I have to wait before I polish? I know some people say to wait, but I know for a fact that the shop wet sands and compounds the car the day after paint. So how bad could it be to polish it after it's returned to me?

I also plan on picking up some jetseal and a wax for the ultimate sleek/wet shine. What wax would be a good combo for this? I'm also using Menzerna intensive polish and would like something more aggressive to remove something I can't with the IP.

Thanks
Old 07-08-08, 05:18 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polishing should be fine. You definitley dont want to wax it though until it cures.
Old 07-08-08, 05:31 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

I would want to wax it after I polish it. How long does it normally take for the paint to cure?
Old 07-08-08, 05:40 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I would wait 30 days. The body shop is probably using body shop safe products (no waxes/silicones/etc), but I dont see why you would have to polish once you get it back. The shop should return the pieces to you in perfect shape imo.
For a topper for jetseal, theres a few that I like. What color are you working with?
Heres a link the CG products, including jetseal.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/chemicalguys.html
Old 07-08-08, 06:51 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd suggest you use a product like Meguiar's Speed Glaze for the first 30 days. This is a fine polish that does offer some protection yet it allows the paint to continue to outgas.
Old 07-08-08, 07:22 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

I agree with Chris on this one. You never want to start messing with freshly painted panels right away. Some poeple disagree with that theory, but I have seen a handful of my customers do it anyway. Bad news....BIG TIME.

For the best/longest protection factor....seal it. Jetseal is a good product, and our Bulletproof Paint Sealant works very well. When it coomes to waxes, PaPaHoff can atest to our Platinum 44. This is more of a show car wax, but still looks very nice!
Old 07-08-08, 07:59 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
I would wait 30 days. The body shop is probably using body shop safe products (no waxes/silicones/etc), but I dont see why you would have to polish once you get it back. The shop should return the pieces to you in perfect shape imo.
For a topper for jetseal, theres a few that I like. What color are you working with?
Heres a link the CG products, including jetseal.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/chemicalguys.html
I would like to polish when I get it back b/c when I get it back it does shine, but I do see some smudge marks/holograms in direct sun light from my fender I got back from them a while back.

I'm working with a black car.

Would P21S work good with jetseal. Also Since I already have NXT 2.0 would a P21S work a topper for that extra pop?
Old 07-08-08, 08:04 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say to just hold off a little while and let it cure. If the parts are painted off of the car, they can usually bake them at pretty high temps if they want and cure it right in the booth pretty much, but I dunno... I'd still wait if it were me

For the topper, yea, p21s is awesome. well, its great on its own too, not just on top of stuff I would also look at Petes53, and for ease of use, I really cant help but say good 'ol nattys blue! If you want some durability, 476s is killer. 5050 is also a nice durable topper too.
Old 07-08-08, 08:42 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with Jim on this one. Megs #80 and #21 are my go to products for fresh paint.
Old 07-08-08, 09:53 PM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

And the battle of the Car Care Vendors begins! LOL
Old 07-09-08, 12:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I might add that you should ask your painter what the paint manufacturer suggests. You could also find out what paint was used on your repaint and look to their website for recommendations if your painter seems unsure.

I'd strongly suggest that you seek the answer from the people who make the paint and not the advice of someone you don't know on a forum (like me). If you are going to take anonymous advice, consider what the consequences are if they are giving wrong advice and err on the side of safety.

The safest choice is to not wax or seal for 90 days if you have no direct instruction from the painter.

Many polishes, OTOH, are safe for use on fresh paint after a day of air drying or a few hours of heated drying. In fact, most body shops polish soon after the respray.

Here are a few links suggesting 30-90 days of no wax or sealant: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=3704
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...?f=23&t=213501
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...o/home/?query=
Old 07-09-08, 12:45 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I might add that you should ask your painter what the paint manufacturer suggests. You could also find out what paint was used on your repaint and look to their website for recommendations if your painter seems unsure.

I'd strongly suggest that you seek the answer from the people who make the paint and not the advice of someone you don't know on a forum (like me). If you are going to take anonymous advice, consider what the consequences are if they are giving wrong advice and err on the side of safety.

The safest choice is to not wax or seal for 90 days if you have no direct instruction from the painter.

Many polishes, OTOH, are safe for use on fresh paint after a day of air drying or a few hours of heated drying. In fact, most body shops polish soon after the respray.

Here are a few links suggesting 30-90 days of no wax or sealant: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=3704
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...?f=23&t=213501
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...o/home/?query=
Thanks for all the great info. I'm probably just going to polish out the holograms and then wait the 30 days before i wax or seal.