Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What to use to clean the black plastic interior pieces

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 05:12 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to use to clean the black plastic interior pieces

A passanger put lotion all over her hand and it got on the plastic, now I can't remove it with water or water with dish soap.

Any suggestion? Vinyl cleaner? Leather cleaner? Armor all isn't good? Acetone? Paint thinner? (ok, the last 2 are extreme).
Old 07-11-08, 05:27 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On really tough/stubborn dirt/debris on interior, I reach for p21s total auto wash. Always seems to do the trick for me :Shrug:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/totalautowash.html
Old 07-14-08, 02:35 PM
abbadabba0018
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
On really tough/stubborn dirt/debris on interior, I reach for p21s total auto wash. Always seems to do the trick for me :Shrug:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/totalautowash.html
P21S TAW is certainly a great APC, but I do not use it on plastic pieces. I use it on fabrics (diluted 1:2), engine bay (no dilution), and as a presoak!

Originally Posted by PandaBear
A passanger put lotion all over her hand and it got on the plastic, now I can't remove it with water or water with dish soap.

Any suggestion? Vinyl cleaner? Leather cleaner? Armor all isn't good? Acetone? Paint thinner? (ok, the last 2 are extreme).
Instead I would recommend Klasse AIO or a comparable paint cleaner/polish/sealant. It is relatively gentle with no abrasives, and will do the trick to get rid of the residue on the plastic + leave a nice shine

Clear Kote Vanilla Moose Wax would work also.
Old 07-20-08, 02:05 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plexus is a great plastic polish.
Old 07-21-08, 07:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd be cautious with what I use on plastic. Some products will soften the plastic, others, like a polish, will change the texture or sheen of the plastic. If it were me I'd use a dedicated vinyl cleaner product. The best I've used is Meg's #39, Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner, followed up with #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. This pair of products, while likely more difficult to acquire, will clean just about anything off of vinyl and rubber, doesn't leave a glossy shine, has UV protection and will keep them looking like new for years.

Case in point, here is a shot of my 1991 MR2 trim that has seen only seen this pair. This car was a daily driver for 12 years and sat outside for most of that time. This #39 & #40 pair works equally well on interior and exterior surfaces. As you can see, after 17 years, the protected parts still look like new.