Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

has anyone tried the new powerball for paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08 | 01:32 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Default has anyone tried the new powerball for paint?

i was just wondering if anyone has tried the new powerball for paint? i was lookin at it recently..and it looks rather interesting. im thinking of getting it, and was wondering if anyone has yet, and if so, how do you like it? which would you recommend? the powerball or a rotary buffer?
Old 07-13-08 | 12:49 PM
SpecC
Rookie

i would say rotary since the powerball isn't designed for paint. it's designed for the hard to get places that a rotary can't such as your exhaust tips or spokes in a mesh wheel
Old 07-14-08 | 01:55 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

actually..they have a new thing called the "Powerball 4Paint"..thats what i was wondering about
Old 07-14-08 | 11:16 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

If rotary buffer is an option for you, then I'd say get the rotary. If you haven't used one before, you might want to either practice on some scrap pieces or get a random orbital polisher, such as the Porter Cable 7224/7336, UDM, or Griot's Garage.

Although I haven't tried the one for paint, if its anything like the original one, keep that thing off your paint
Old 07-14-08 | 02:32 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

that bad eh? i thought it wouldve been good..considering mothers usually makes good stuff. is it that hard to use the rotary buffer?
Old 07-14-08 | 02:47 PM
abbadabba0018
9th Gear

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
i was just wondering if anyone has tried the new powerball for paint? i was lookin at it recently..and it looks rather interesting. im thinking of getting it, and was wondering if anyone has yet, and if so, how do you like it? which would you recommend? the powerball or a rotary buffer?
Rotary buffer without question!

Originally Posted by SpecC
i would say rotary since the powerball isn't designed for paint. it's designed for the hard to get places that a rotary can't such as your exhaust tips or spokes in a mesh wheel
Yes, Ben is 100% right

Originally Posted by CLHawaii
If rotary buffer is an option for you, then I'd say get the rotary. If you haven't used one before, you might want to either practice on some scrap pieces or get a random orbital polisher, such as the Porter Cable 7224/7336, UDM, or Griot's Garage.

Although I haven't tried the one for paint, if its anything like the original one, keep that thing off your paint
If you are a weekend warrior, get the PC. If you are very **** about your car, you will move on quickly from the porter cable.

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
that bad eh? i thought it wouldve been good..considering mothers usually makes good stuff. is it that hard to use the rotary buffer?
SpecC here started off straight to the rotary! His work is top notch but maybe he is special hahahahahaha.

Watch some youtubes, read the detailingworld guide to understand the basics and some terminology + knowledge (don't follow it word for word...your gut feeling is most important).