Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirl Marks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 02:10 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my car painted ($2000 for a paint job and not a cheap kind) and the body shop didn't really fix up the swirl marks. After waiting for a month for the paint to completely dry, I bought the fine rubbing compound bottle from Turtle (around $10) and use the micro fiber towel to wipe the compound on the car's surface. I didn't have to use the polishing machine because it might be too strong with the vibrations. The swirl marks disappear right away and the car also shines a lot better. That's all I just did. I'll wax it very soon and I believe it'll bring out better gloss. I don't like polishing compound because it won't shine as much as the wax. I tried the synthetic polishing but I'm not very happy with it.
Old 07-27-08, 11:55 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my car painted ($2000 for a paint job and not a cheap kind) and the body shop didn't really fix up the swirl marks
I am banging my head against the wall

would not a complete paint work includes polishing?

Why you give him your hard earned money (assumption) if you don't go home pleased to glance at your car.
Old 07-27-08, 02:42 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MythBuster
I am banging my head against the wall

would not a complete paint work includes polishing?

Why you give him your hard earned money (assumption) if you don't go home pleased to glance at your car.
I know and I'm not happy with it. The first time it was really good, but with improper alignment with the body kit. I had to take it back the second time after I touched up the bondo & re-align the bumpers. This is when the body shop didn't fix up the swirl marks. I only gave him a week to finish it, so I guess it was in a rush and the body shop didn't have enough time. That shop is a busy shop.
Old 07-28-08, 05:46 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Sorry guys, I wrote this up once to help the newer folks and I keep it as a WP document on my computer. When the info looks like it could help someone I drag and drop to the thread. Yes it is long, but I tried to cover most of the bases with procedures that will product good results. Maybe it should be a sticky? Or maybe I should just show more restraint in posting it. LOL
No need to be sorry at Jim. It's another great write-up. It seems like your a user of Meguiar's products. Pretty much all of the products in my arsenal are from Meguiar's. The only thing missing that I now want is the Porter Cable. I have what you can say is one of those cheap buffers that doesn't cut it at all.
Old 11-20-08, 01:34 PM
Checkk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up. Everything I needed to know about Swirls. Thanks!
Old 11-20-08, 03:32 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that a lot of shops out there are known for not finishing the job. The ones around me just swirl the crap out of the car after a repaint. Its their "free" polishing job they give for being their customer.

I had enough so I learned to do minor touch ups after accidents so I didn't have to go through them lol