Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ask GlimmerGlass

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 07:07 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AznJason
If I understand it correctly, it'll tell me the thickness to the body. So, how do I use it to make sure I don't bust through the clear? Or is it more like, if I find a spot without clear, measure that and use it as a basis for thickness of the paint and thicker than that means clear?
Thats the idea I got from using it a couple times on my car. To get a rough, and I mean rough estimate of how much clear you have, take the reading from your door sills or inside your engine bay. Usually those places have no clear. After, take a normal reading and subtract it from the earlier number. That will help start you out
Old 06-21-09, 02:12 PM
66fasty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Placed my order a few days ago,hope to get it soon so I can practice on this kia I just picked to daily Drive.Anybody know if 2000 kia sephias have clear coat or not?This car has never been waxed EVER,but I did do a small section by hand with zymol and it looked alot better.
Thanks,
Philip
Old 06-21-09, 04:06 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Philip, Thanks for the order! Your order has shipped, so you should see it by the end of the week!
I'm not sure about the clear on a kia though. I havent had the opportunity to work on one of them unfortunately. I'm sure you'll see some impressive results after the detail, so try to snap some before and after pics
Old 06-24-09, 12:03 PM
pickle
Rookie

Chris, Due to all the rain we are getting here in the northeast, It is insanely difficult to keep up with my cars. I'm thinking of just going to my winter durability routine to extend the protection for the rest of the summer. I have Poorboys EXP and Collinite 476 which I typically use. What do you think the durability of Jetseal 109 is compared to EXP? It will be going on a Lexus GX470 in titanium silver. I have EXP and Nattys original on it now, and it is holding up fine, great beading and slickness. Just getting sick of constantly fighting with multiple detailing steps whenever it rains, and then having it rain again just after I finish! BTW, this is a daily driver.
Old 06-25-09, 01:27 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I know what you mean! The weather in the NE is absolutely ridiculous. Its actually not such a bad idea to go w/ the routine you outlined. I dont think JS109 and EXP will be too different. JS might have a slight edge, but its negligible imo. If you already have EXP and 476, I'd probably stick w/ those. Both are very durable so unless you want to try a new product, I'd personally stick w/ either the exp or 476.
Old 07-01-09, 04:15 AM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

hey chris.. i just bought the ssr's 2.5/1.0 and poorboys blue wax.
wat wax would be equivalent that's in liquid form?
Old 07-01-09, 09:25 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scooter58
hey chris.. i just bought the ssr's 2.5/1.0 and poorboys blue wax.
wat wax would be equivalent that's in liquid form?
Theres a couple of liquid waxes that I really like. First being Carnauba Moose Wax. Awesome product that does a great job of deepening the appearance. You could also do another poorboys product, EX sealer wax. And finally, Collinite 845. Super durable and looks great.
I would recommend any of these 3 for your liquid wax needs
Old 07-01-09, 10:44 AM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

oh ok thx chris..
gonna put in my order to get the 4th of july discount..

thx
Old 07-01-09, 11:36 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey chris I was wondering what should I use. My car has about 50k on it and I haven't detailed it since I got it. There are some medium to light scratches on the car. Should I use compound or just use polish or even both? Thanks.
Old 07-01-09, 11:40 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scooter58
oh ok thx chris..
gonna put in my order to get the 4th of july discount..

thx
Sounds good, Thanks
Old 07-01-09, 02:50 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tchan1
Hey chris I was wondering what should I use. My car has about 50k on it and I haven't detailed it since I got it. There are some medium to light scratches on the car. Should I use compound or just use polish or even both? Thanks.
Keep in mind that paint has varying hardness to it. For all we know, you may need both of them

Where you located? If you're close I can help you narrow down your polish requirements before I leave for Hong Kong...
Old 07-01-09, 04:03 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

I am in norcal Bay area
Old 07-01-09, 04:33 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Chris,

What should I do for this?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...body-work.html

Thanks,

pchan0
Old 07-01-09, 09:39 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I was trying to install something on my car last week and ended up with this. The scratches is not deep. Can not feel it but it is just a mark. How can I remove this from the vinyl? It is on my dashboard and door sills. Any ideas?

Tommy, you should invest in a PC7424. I got one few months ago and it got rid of all my light scratches and swirls.
Old 07-01-09, 11:14 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Tommy, you should invest in a PC7424. I got one few months ago and it got rid of all my light scratches and swirls.
Oh yeah, I just received my PC7424xp from Chris today. I got the Optimum package. Just gonna wait for a free weekend to use it. Oh yeah, let me know when you get your exhaust. I will be out of town from July 11 to 19.

Quick Reply: Ask GlimmerGlass