Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ask GlimmerGlass

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 12:16 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I have a small sample pot of SN coming in from Ben at Rubbish Boys. I have no idea if its 1.0 or 2.0 though but I'll probably be comparing it against OE, Zymol, and P21S when I receive it
Old 09-01-08, 08:09 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Chris,

I used Nu-finish on my car and was wondering if there is something that I should put over it to make it look better or am I done as nothing can go on top of it? I thought it was a good product until I read some posts here.
Old 09-02-08, 04:27 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Hi Chris,

I used Nu-finish on my car and was wondering if there is something that I should put over it to make it look better or am I done as nothing can go on top of it? I thought it was a good product until I read some posts here.
Looks are going to be subjective But yes, I'd say we can narrow down a product that you would enjoy using more than nu finish What color vehicle and how important is durability (ie: how often its required to reapply).
Old 09-02-08, 07:16 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My GS is Black Cherry Pearl. I do mostly interstate driving around 100 miles a day. I have a 98TL that I use as a DD and the GS is in the garage on most bad weather days. The hood gets nicks and I was hoping to minamize them without going to the expense of a clear bra. The car had a Lexus bra on it the first 5 years(prior owner) and I was contemplating getting a new one for some protection. The old left a fine line across the hood that I compounded most of it out. The car looks good considering it has 85K miles and I would like to keep it that way. Any help is much appreciated
Old 09-03-08, 07:34 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
Do you have a machine to use? There are glass polishing pads available if so. You can use it in conjunction with a variety of products from all in one type polishes, to "glass" specific polishes like autoglym, etc. As you mentioned, doing this is more for a deeper clean than correcting scratches. If theres deep defects that you need removed, I always suggest looking into replacing the glass. Polishing and refinishing glass when theres deep defects to remove, make it tough to keep the glass flat without getting distortion in the glass.
Remember, you can also clay glass. So if you have a clay bar laying around, give that a try first. It may clean the glass to your liking. Just follow with stoners and a nice microfiber glass towel
I've been testing out another glass system and will report back soon
I've got a UDM, would I be able to use something like Zaino Glass Polish or the autoglym you mentioned with a normal foam pad or what would you recommend? I have clayed the glass.

One other thing I just thought of, what do you use on seatbelts? I've read that you should be careful not to use anything harsh that could weaken the fibers.
Old 09-03-08, 08:12 PM
superLS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do i get rid of gum? i ran over gum and its on the rear bumper.
Old 09-05-08, 04:01 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BCP43002
My GS is Black Cherry Pearl. I do mostly interstate driving around 100 miles a day. I have a 98TL that I use as a DD and the GS is in the garage on most bad weather days. The hood gets nicks and I was hoping to minamize them without going to the expense of a clear bra. The car had a Lexus bra on it the first 5 years(prior owner) and I was contemplating getting a new one for some protection. The old left a fine line across the hood that I compounded most of it out. The car looks good considering it has 85K miles and I would like to keep it that way. Any help is much appreciated
well, unfortunately, no wax available is going to prevent rock chips. I would also steer clear of the fabric bras for the front. They can actually do more damage than good. I would honestly recommend going clear bra route if you can. Its your best bet. Just get some touchup work done on the already existent chips first.
For a wax, try out Chemical Guys 5050, EX, Fseal, Butter Wet Wax, Collinite 915, OptiSeal, jetseal or Nattys blue. All would look fantastic on that color imo.
Old 09-05-08, 04:03 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
I've got a UDM, would I be able to use something like Zaino Glass Polish or the autoglym you mentioned with a normal foam pad or what would you recommend? I have clayed the glass.

One other thing I just thought of, what do you use on seatbelts? I've read that you should be careful not to use anything harsh that could weaken the fibers.
yea, I would try the clay first. See if it cleans up the glass enough, or if you still want more. If so, there are diy glass kits available (and glass pads for the machines). But try claying first to see if it removes enough debris, then reasses
And yes, be careful about cleaning belts. What is on them? Anything in particular, or just some dirt?
Old 09-05-08, 04:06 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by superLS
how do i get rid of gum? i ran over gum and its on the rear bumper.
You can give some clay a shot. That may be easiest to try first. Otherwise, a body solvent might be your best bet. Do you have anything on hand?
Old 09-05-08, 06:39 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Chris, I think you should add Prima Swirl to your lineup of polishes. I would rate it between IP and SIP in my experience so far. It even finishes LSP ready as well. I just picked up a 32oz bottle today from a local detailer too (OctaneGuy)

Of course, if you do think about adding it, you can wait until I test out Prima Finish and Prima Banana Armor

I may be getting rid of my Menz IP and FPII if the Prima line proves better...
Old 09-05-08, 07:18 PM
superLS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
You can give some clay a shot. That may be easiest to try first. Otherwise, a body solvent might be your best bet. Do you have anything on hand?
ill try the clay bar....and see if that works.
Old 09-05-08, 10:32 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

question on zaino products like zaino z5...i read the other thread and they keep saying how i need to use zaino this and zaino that...can i just use the zaino z5 as a wax?? also, when I do more than one coat of wax, do I have to wait 24 hours??(as in re-wash and stuff as well the next day)
Old 09-06-08, 06:40 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I may be getting rid of my Menz IP and FPII if the Prima line proves better...
Getting rid of Menz IP and FPII ? That's crazy talk right there. Probably from smelling the wax too many times.
Old 09-06-08, 05:03 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by huy33
Getting rid of Menz IP and FPII ? That's crazy talk right there. Probably from smelling the wax too many times.
Haha, I'll be doing a comparison of the two brands when I obtain a black hood or black trunk. I'll be doing 50/50 wipedowns after as well as TAW. Basically everything to get rid of any oils if they are there. I hope I can pull it off soon. That way it can sit outside for my wax durability test as well lol

If Prima does match SIP and 106FF/FA in performance (or IP and FPII), I think I'll have a new winner in my collection. Its just a matter to seeing how much fillers are in it, assuming that there are some
Old 09-07-08, 10:54 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
If Prima does match SIP and 106FF/FA in performance (or IP and FPII), I think I'll have a new winner in my collection. Its just a matter to seeing how much fillers are in it, assuming that there are some

Fillers? Isn't that what glazes are for??

Quick Reply: Ask GlimmerGlass