Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ask GlimmerGlass

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 01:05 PM
350nub
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, P21s 100% or CG 5050 or CG Pete 53??
Old 09-07-08, 02:11 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by huy33
Fillers? Isn't that what glazes are for??
Yes, but some (not all) polishes also contain some minor fillers...
Old 09-07-08, 02:54 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 350nub
Chris, P21s 100% or CG 5050 or CG Pete 53??
Could be the toughest question so far, lol. You're choosing between some of the best waxes available, so I dont think you'll be dissappointed by any of them. Seriously though, these questions are tough as everyone has their own opinion on how product X looks on a vehicle. That said, I've been using 5050 a lot recently and really like it. It has some decent durability too. Probably most out of the 3. Petes has the highest carnauba volume at @~53%. P21s 100% comes in a little less than that, but shows that #s dont mean everything as a lot of guys prefer it over petes. I believe I did post a review on p21s 100% not too long ago. That may be some help to you.
Given my current mood, I might say 5050, 100%, petes.
Old 09-07-08, 03:07 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
For a wax, try out Chemical Guys 5050, EX, Fseal, Butter Wet Wax, Collinite 915, OptiSeal, jetseal or Nattys blue. All would look fantastic on that color imo.
Chris - Would I have to take off the Nu-Finish first or could I apply any of those on top of it?
Old 09-07-08, 03:39 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Chris - Would I have to take off the Nu-Finish first or could I apply any of those on top of it?
You dont Have to remove it if you dont want to. Those waxes can be applied over it if you'd like. Layering it will change the appearance slightly of course, but no harm done
Old 09-08-08, 09:02 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by butterbeer
question on zaino products like zaino z5...i read the other thread and they keep saying how i need to use zaino this and zaino that...can i just use the zaino z5 as a wax?? also, when I do more than one coat of wax, do I have to wait 24 hours??(as in re-wash and stuff as well the next day)
Yes, you can do just z5 from what I understand. I dont use their products and always had trouble understanding their whole system anyway .

Multiple coats of z5 or z2 in one day require you to add ZFX iirc.
Old 09-08-08, 10:02 AM
MARINE
Driver

Chris,

Just so because Im lazy and do want to read a 100 posts. Can you please post the sequence on waxing on the stuff you sent me. What pad first what I finish yada yada. This would be good for all the noobs too!
Old 09-09-08, 08:13 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MARINE
Chris,

Just so because Im lazy and do want to read a 100 posts. Can you please post the sequence on waxing on the stuff you sent me. What pad first what I finish yada yada. This would be good for all the noobs too!
absolutely!

I'll generalize a little bit to include more than just what you picked up.

Basically, prior to using any type of compound or polish, you'll want to wash (duh), than, as an option, clay the surface. The majority of vehicles benefit most from either the 200gram gray bar or the elastic clay. These are the most commonly used. Both LUBER and Spray n Wipe work great as clay lube.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...ubricants.html

From there you have options, all based on the condition of the paint and what/how much you're looking to correct or improve it.

If using a yellow cutting pad, you can use a compound like ssr3, optimum (hyper) compound, etc.
A less aggressive orange light cut pad can be used with something like ssr2.5, optimum compound, etc.
A white polishing pad can be used with something like ssr1 or optimum polish.
The black pad is good for glazes like red moose glaze, ez creme glaze, white diamond/black hole. The blk pad also works well for waxes and sealants.
The blue pad is basically the same as the black (just less firm), and the same products can be used in conjunction w/ it.
You can also mix it up a little. ie: optimum polish on an orange pad. That would kinda step up just a little bit and land somewhere in the middle of what opt. compound/orange and opt. polish/white would do.
Other factors like paint/clear hardness come in to play, but this is the basic premise w/o getting too in to it.
Old 09-10-08, 06:54 PM
MARINE
Driver

So you saying I cant just wipe the dirt off with a microfiber? I actually have to get my hands wet? I just prefer to let it sit in the sprinkler overnight
Old 09-10-08, 08:19 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MARINE
So you saying I cant just wipe the dirt off with a microfiber? I actually have to get my hands wet? I just prefer to let it sit in the sprinkler overnight
lol. everybody knows that females think raining cleans the car. lol. sorry. just thought of that when i read your post.

Charley
Old 09-12-08, 11:42 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Optiseal

Chris,

From one of your other posts I have this process: Wash > clay > compound > polish > glaze > wax

Would Optiseal be used in place of the glaze?
Old 09-12-08, 04:21 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
Chris,

From one of your other posts I have this process: Wash > clay > compound > polish > glaze > wax

Would Optiseal be used in place of the glaze?
Yes. If you're using a sealant, you can do the sealant in place of a glaze. You can at that point, either leave the sealant on its own, or you can top it with a wax if you'd like.
Old 09-12-08, 04:30 PM
MARINE
Driver

I still rather leave it in the sprinkler lol
Old 09-24-08, 08:58 AM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

since I live in a snowy area, what would you reccomend as far as prepping for the upcoming winter months? I'm definitely going to do the leatherique that you posted but what about for everything else?
Old 09-24-08, 09:35 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
Chris,

since I live in a snowy area, what would you reccomend as far as prepping for the upcoming winter months? I'm definitely going to do the leatherique that you posted but what about for everything else?
I'd like to know as well, last winter I used Klasse sealant which seems have done a pretty good job.

Quick Reply: Ask GlimmerGlass