Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Window down and rain got in

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 06:32 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Window down and rain got in

Hey guys, my sister left my rear driver's side window down during the current hurricane in Texas and got rainwater inside my car. The passenger side is now damp and there was a shirt on my rear seat that got wet and was on there overnight and it seemed to cause the leather seats to lighten in color pretty dramatically. Is there any way to restore the color in the leather and what should I do about cleaning the carpeting. I try to take very good care of my car and then this happens.
Old 08-14-08, 01:39 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Hey guys, my sister left my rear driver's side window down during the current hurricane in Texas and got rainwater inside my car. The passenger side is now damp and there was a shirt on my rear seat that got wet and was on there overnight and it seemed to cause the leather seats to lighten in color pretty dramatically. Is there any way to restore the color in the leather and what should I do about cleaning the carpeting. I try to take very good care of my car and then this happens.
I had the same thing happen to me, the leather returned to its color on its own after it dried up. I used a pack of microfiber clothes to dry everything up, and a wetdry vac. I took apart all of my door panels to make sure no water was in there or on any electronic components. I also bought a bunch of damprid buckets and bags and hung them all over my car. Everything dried up well and there was no permanent damage. I just finished up with a leather cleaner and conditioner and cleaned everything else as I usually would.