Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

2 detailing product questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 12:27 PM
LHARTWICK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 detailing product questions

1) I've read somewhere on these boards that Carnuba waxes are gentlest on clear coats. Can anyone recommend an excellent Carnuba wax that gives excellent protection and shine? Does Mequiar's make one?
2) What does a clay bar do? I've seen them mentioned but have never used one.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-12-08, 01:03 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Carnauba wax is mainly for looks so if you want durability this is not the best route. For durability I would go with a sealant or wax with polymers.

If you dont mind waxing it though, everyone has their own different opinions on brands and which is the best. I would say try out P21S if you are looking for a decent paste wax.

2) Clay bar basically removes surface imperfections and contaminants otherwise not removable by a regular wash. If you paint feels rough or you have never done it before, I would definitely recommend doing it. When doing so, be sure to use plenty of lube so it doesnt do damage as claybar is an abrasive.

Quick Detailer is a sufficient lube which is most commonly used and once again brands are up to the particular person. Each person has their own opinions and preference on brands.

Check with the forum sponsors and they should be able to give you some good deals on the products you need.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-08, 02:16 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

PaPaHoff pretty much nailed the info.

Some of the most durable waxes out there would be collinite. Which color vehicle are you working with. There are certainly other options out there for durability which I can suggest.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/coaupr.html

Clay is pretty easy and straight forward to use. Using a sufficient clay lube (I like LUBER for clay lube), spray a small section (maybe 1'x1'x) with the lube, then work the clay in back/forth motions using light/medium pressure. You'll feel the clay picking up the contaminents. Kneed the clay as you go through the vehicle, always trying to keep a clean side down. The majority of people only require a light grade clay. The gray 200 gram bar or elastic clay (~110g) on this page would be what you're looking for.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...ubricants.html
Old 08-12-08, 05:20 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

+1 on collinite

i use the 476 double coat
its amazing
lasts 6 months minimum and still gives u that rich shine only from carnauba

application is a bit hard though as it is a hard carnauba wax when cold (u can warm it up with ur hand easier)
and it hardens again very fast
removal is harder than application
but its worth it
Old 08-12-08, 10:51 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

As for clay lube...can you just use a few drops of car shampoo and water in a spray bottle?
Old 08-13-08, 04:19 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

If you wanted to go that route, I'd use more than a few drops. I'd make it a higher concentration for better lubricity.
My preference still lies w/ luber, or spray n wipe though.
Old 08-13-08, 07:00 AM
LHARTWICK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
PaPaHoff pretty much nailed the info.

Some of the most durable waxes out there would be collinite. Which color vehicle are you working with. There are certainly other options out there for durability which I can suggest.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/coaupr.html

Clay is pretty easy and straight forward to use. Using a sufficient clay lube (I like LUBER for clay lube), spray a small section (maybe 1'x1'x) with the lube, then work the clay in back/forth motions using light/medium pressure. You'll feel the clay picking up the contaminents. Kneed the clay as you go through the vehicle, always trying to keep a clean side down. The majority of people only require a light grade clay. The gray 200 gram bar or elastic clay (~110g) on this page would be what you're looking for.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...ubricants.html
The car is pearl white. I've had it 1 1/2 months so I don't notice any contaminants in the paint yet. I would like to start protecting it from getting any to begin with.