Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Safest way to remove paint off of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 12:08 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clay bar usually works fine.
Old 10-05-12, 10:19 AM
Stereosage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REmoving green paint from Cerulean blue 2010 RX-350

My wife was in an underground parking lot and trying to get out of a tight space and some guy was ‘helping’. She was worried about one side and he told her she was fine. However, this total ‘foxtrot’ idiot did not tell her she was about to hit a garbage bin on the other side. As my wife said, that’s probably the first time she’s so quickly told someone to ‘foxtrot’ off.

Anyhow, lots of green paint on the driver side corner of the front bumper. I looked on the Internet for various suggestions. I have some Scratch Doctor. It took off some paint, but just wasn’t doing the job. Similarly, Good Gone (a mild solvent and adhesive remover) removed some, but still not enough.

This morning I tried a strong mixture of Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Car Wash (bought it years ago) in hot tap water. The mixture was two cups of water and probably 3 to 4 tablespoons of detergent. I used a microfiber cleaning cloth and held it over the area like a compress. I kept the whole area wet, then gradually started putting more pressure on individual areas. It took five to ten minutes to get it off. I rinsed the area with lots of water, then worked over the whole area with Scratch Doctor and a clean cotton cloth.
Old 10-05-12, 11:53 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereosage
My wife was in an underground parking lot and trying to get out of a tight space and some guy was ‘helping’. She was worried about one side and he told her she was fine. However, this total ‘foxtrot’ idiot did not tell her she was about to hit a garbage bin on the other side. As my wife said, that’s probably the first time she’s so quickly told someone to ‘foxtrot’ off.

Anyhow, lots of green paint on the driver side corner of the front bumper. I looked on the Internet for various suggestions. I have some Scratch Doctor. It took off some paint, but just wasn’t doing the job. Similarly, Good Gone (a mild solvent and adhesive remover) removed some, but still not enough.

This morning I tried a strong mixture of Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Car Wash (bought it years ago) in hot tap water. The mixture was two cups of water and probably 3 to 4 tablespoons of detergent. I used a microfiber cleaning cloth and held it over the area like a compress. I kept the whole area wet, then gradually started putting more pressure on individual areas. It took five to ten minutes to get it off. I rinsed the area with lots of water, then worked over the whole area with Scratch Doctor and a clean cotton cloth.

Hey man,

Solvents usually are not going to "cut it" for removing paint transfer.

The safest way is to get a medium cut compound and a finishing polish.

First, put some of the compound on a microfiber towel and rub the area until all paint is gone, then follow up with the finishing polish to really bring back the gloss to full effect.

You might get away with just polish, but it doesn't have the cut level of a rubbing compound so it will take more effort.
Old 10-05-12, 11:58 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I would not waste my time with a clay bar. If you use a fine grade clay, it will take FOREVER and is really ineffective. Using an aggressive grade clay bar will probably mar the area and while it may be more effective at removing transfer paint than a finer clay, it's still not going to be as good as using a polish/compound method.
Old 10-10-12, 08:24 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone tried rubbing alcohol?
I've used it before to remove transfer and this guy in the video shows it going to work pretty good here.
Old 10-10-12, 08:45 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eknine9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VByee3XcsTk

Anyone tried rubbing alcohol?
I've used it before to remove transfer and this guy in the video shows it going to work pretty good here.
Yes, I've tried it, but a prep type solvent is MUCH stronger than IPA, so needless to say, the alcohol might only work in some less extreme scenarios.