Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailed: My GS400 (before vs after)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 10:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Look how dirty that was...

hahaha..

Great detail...looks amazing..definitely should have gone with souveran!! lol...

i just got back to LA and my car was in the worst shape ever...

probably the same condition as your before with 3 months of water spots and etchings on the paint....yikes....
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good job!!!!

Thanks guys! I'm happy with the end result for now. Still planning to get a repaint eventually because I have lots of rock chips on my front bumper and part of the hood. I love this black color
Old 08-26-08, 10:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by aristo2369
hello there.
i have almost 99.5 perfect paint but i want it to look perfect no little clear paint marks. What can i used to take that away and make it look like that picture of the refection of the sc. i just wax cause im scared to mess anything up.
let me know please
Do you have swirls at the moment? Do you have a buffer of some sort? Waxing wont do any good if the surface isn't prepped. Basically, the polish was the key point. The finer the finish, the more reflective it became. Plus it helps to have a black car Here are more reflection shots from my previous detail back when I first bought my car:

So bottom line, you need to polish your paint in order to get any kind of reflection. You're not going to get anything if the paint is dull because of swirl marks
Old 08-27-08, 08:38 AM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile swirls

ok, so i use polish, any kind of polish? i have some maguiers that i can use.
do you use a machine, what kind of pressure,what kind of pad/color? andthen you wax?
please let me know..
Old 08-27-08, 11:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by aristo2369
ok, so i use polish, any kind of polish? i have some maguiers that i can use.
do you use a machine, what kind of pressure,what kind of pad/color? andthen you wax?
please let me know..
Which meguiars polish do you have?

Of course I have to use a machine (look at my previous posts )

The pressure varies so I cannot give you a specific answer. The pressure you apply on an dual action buffer is different than on a rotary. Likewise, the pressure also varies depending on what panel you're doing. Not all cars are the same. You have to go by feel and best judgment.

For pads, I use light cutting pad to get rid of the swirls, following up with a polishing pad to remove any trace of halogram that the cutting pad may leave behind. It's finer than the cutting pad so the surface becomes smoother. Note that many manufacturers have different color pads. Not all white, orange, yellow, etc pads are the same. For example...X company may be using a yellow pad for heavy cutting while Y company may be using brown for the same purpose
Old 08-27-08, 12:09 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

The car is looking real clean.
Old 08-27-08, 04:59 PM
chiamx
Driver

very nice indeed, Its always a pain in the butt to work on black cars but your results are amazing.

Seems like the menzerna products are pretty good. I'll have to go try a bottle
now.
Old 08-27-08, 07:49 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Your car came out looking great! I love the slightly modified look.

How old was your UDM and how did it break? Im getting ready to order one soon.
The UDM was about 14 months old before it was brutally murdered by gsteg It was one of the originals that needed a replacement switch. When I had got the machine originally the plastic casing was completely off and the handle wouldn't even screw in, but when I had to replace the switch I saw that the case was just a slip over with no screws, so it was an easy fix. The machine has been sitting for the most of the time since I had gotten it until last week. What had happened was that the machine was sitting on the little step that I was standing on while polishing the roof, and the rotary was on the other side of the car plugged into a different extension cord, so when Henry pulled on the cord for the rotary he didn't know they were tangled together, and the UDM fell off the step and cracked the case. It was a good 12-15" drop that cracked the casing where the only screw was, so the guts fell out and I tried putting it back together, but now the machine has some crazy vibration at full speed, but it is still good for applying wax (which I normally do by hand anyways ).

btw that sc300 in the reflection is nice
Old 08-27-08, 08:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Thanks for clarifying the death of the UDM. Still, it has excessive vibration even when new due to its stronger motor. I tried using it while blkexcoupe was using my rotary and I couldn't even use it for more than 2 minutes before I had to stop. My hands were starting to tinkle and got numb really quick. I can't see any advantage of using a UDM if you know how to use a rotary, other than maybe applying wax. rotary is quicker, more effective, no vibration, and a blast to use as a sanding machine However I do like the fact that the UDM is a lot quicker than a PC when it comes to swirl correcting.
Old 08-27-08, 08:18 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice, great results
Old 08-30-08, 10:30 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job Teg. The results speak for itself.