Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Optimum No Rinse (ONR)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 03:03 PM
omniskye
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Optimum No Rinse (ONR)

i've read a lot of threads on this forum regarding Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and it seems that a lot of folks like it.

my question is.....along with how it cleans, does it actually make the subsequent washes easier? in other words, once you wash the car a couple of times with ONR, does dirt and grime come off easier on future washes - perhaps due to the slicker surface that it creates?
Old 08-28-08, 03:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

ONR doesn't make the paint slicker so future washes will be the same. If you want easier washes, your paint should be waxed at least.
Old 08-28-08, 11:05 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dun really like ONR...i tried once and got marrings from the lowes grout sponge that every1 recommends to use with....
Old 08-28-08, 11:10 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
i dun really like ONR...i tried once and got marrings from the lowes grout sponge that every1 recommends to use with....
I've had marring happen before too, but I think it was more from the drying then it was my wash mitt.
Old 08-29-08, 01:00 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like ONR. I can get my car cleaned faster using it. It should only be used if you have a light layer of dust on your car. If your car is super dirty, wash it with rinsing water. When I use ONR, I dust my car off with a California duster before I start washing. This prevents scratching on the paint.
Old 08-29-08, 08:36 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely a great product! However, like GSteg mentioned, it wont make future cleanings easier. Keep a nice layer of wax or a sealant on there which will help make cleaning it up easier the next time around

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opnoriwansh.html
Old 08-29-08, 10:17 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Also, it is best to wash a little to mid size area at a time then dry it right afterwards. Don't wash one half of your car then decide to dry it. This will cause spotting because this stuff dries fast.
Old 07-29-09, 11:14 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

I tried ONR for the first time. I don't have access to a hose at my condo, so generally I am forced to use the pay and spray. I refuse to use the car wash because those guys always drop a rag, and then continue to use it to dry the car.

My process (to minimize cost at the pay and spray) was as follows:

1) put $4 in pay and spray, spray off all the crap from the car
2) drive home (luckily less than a mile, so car is still all wet).
3) use the ONR one panel at a time
4) refill bucket with ONR, clean wheels
5) follow up with quick detailer

The car came out great. Granted, the purpose is that you don't have to spray the car down to begin with, but for me I really wanted to cut my cost from $20 at the pay and spray down to something more reasonable.

Generally in Socal I am only washing off pollen anyway, so I think the ONR would work fine without spraying down. However, this gave me a little more protection against any other crap on the car.

I have to say, the ONR is great. Also, it will save me a ton of money on quick detailer as well.
Old 07-29-09, 12:06 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear that you like it! ONR really is an amazing product.
Old 07-30-09, 05:54 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only use ONR in the winter when washing car is impossible without it. I use two grout sponges, three buckets, one with ONR, two to rinse. I do a single panel at a time, the hood would be 4 separate areas, and use spray bottles filled with ONR solution to throughly wet down the car, lots of microfiber to dry.

Easily takes me 2-3x longer to ONR and wash than a regular wash.
Old 08-02-09, 12:14 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

I rinse the car w/ water before using ONR to remove most of the dirt/dust on it that will cause marring.
Old 08-03-09, 09:04 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been using ONR for over two years and used QEW for 3 years before ONR. I do use the two bucket method but disagree with much of what was said in earlier posts. I have never had marring from washing with ONR and it is all I use for salt, dirt, or anything else. I usually wash the entire car before drying and do not get spotting (however, I do have soft water treatment on my water line into my home). Occasionally if I wash in full sunshine (just too lazy to do it in the garage) I will dry sections as I wash but this is rare. In my experience ONR definitely does very slightly enhance your wax/sealant protection and look....it will leave a slightly slicker surface but it is only temporary.

Diluted it makes a great QD cleaner or clay lube.

I always buy by the gallon and the more I use it the better I like it....everyone is always hesitant and you can't believe it works as well as it does but you will get more and more comfortable with it as you use it.

Personally I haven't found a downside to using this product other than my own fear of its success.
Old 08-03-09, 02:10 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

cool, glad to hear it.

Does everyone use the grout sponge?
How much of the ONR do you put into a wash bucket? I have been using 2 cap fulls... does that sound right?

I'd like to get a sprayer to spray down the panel before washing.... when I start to wash it seems that the ONR makes the water run off the car super quick.

Other than that, I'm loving it so far but I do spray the car down with a hose before hand to get rid of all the real loose dirt, then I proceed with the wash.