Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I Hate Trees

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 07:57 PM
yodeixmall
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Hate Trees

so i parked under a tree at night before goin out...when i came back around 3 am it looked like a tree took a dump on my car...SAP EVERYWHERE!!! so now i got all this **** on my car that wont come off even with rubbing alch. nor nail polish remover...i guess i gotta go get it detailed...i have the worst luck
Old 09-01-08, 08:17 PM
drone
Driver School Candidate

have u tried just hot water and dish soap?thats always werked for me
Old 09-01-08, 08:49 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

a little off topic :P
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/906397/
clearly they love trees
i've never had this tree sap problem up here in canada
Old 09-01-08, 08:55 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yodeixmall
so i parked under a tree at night before goin out...when i came back around 3 am it looked like a tree took a dump on my car...SAP EVERYWHERE!!! so now i got all this **** on my car that wont come off even with rubbing alch. nor nail polish remover...i guess i gotta go get it detailed...i have the worst luck
um.. You are NOT suppose to use nail polish remover. That stuff will take the paint right off! Use a clay bar! Please research before you use anything you find at home on your car.
Old 09-01-08, 09:22 PM
omd316
Driver

Originally Posted by yodeixmall
Oh god please don't use alcohol on your paint or dish washing soap , like the previous poster said , theres alot of cleaning products available .
Old 09-01-08, 09:28 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

bee glad this isnt a prius forum you could be banned just for using tree and hate in the same sentance
Old 09-01-08, 09:47 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Rubbing Alcohol??? Nail Polish Remover??? Oh boy... I almost had a heart attack. Those are BIG BIG NO NO's!

A Clay Bar will definitely do the trick:

http://properautocare.com/blpoiikit.html
Old 09-01-08, 09:50 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clay bar will take that off in a safe matter...
Old 09-01-08, 09:59 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I am the most picky person about my car's paint, and yes it has been known that non-acetone polish remover does take off tree sap. It worked on my bumper without taking off the clear coat on my paint. A detailing place told me to use it, and if you google "how to remove tree sap from your car", non-acetone nail polish remover will come up as a solution.

If the nail polish remover didn't work, hand sanitizer will also work without ruining your paint (you just gotta use some elbow grease). If it still won't come off, invest in a clay kit (bar and lube). You can get the Clay Magic kit at Autozone for $12.00. Good Luck!

P.S. Apply a coat of wax after sap is completely removed.
Old 09-01-08, 10:12 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

clay bar with some paint cleaner is the only way to go.
Old 09-01-08, 10:52 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
I am the most picky person about my car's paint, and yes it has been known that non-acetone polish remover does take off tree sap. It worked on my bumper without taking off the clear coat on my paint. A detailing place told me to use it, and if you google "how to remove tree sap from your car", non-acetone nail polish remover will come up as a solution.

If the nail polish remover didn't work, hand sanitizer will also work without ruining your paint (you just gotta use some elbow grease). If it still won't come off, invest in a clay kit (bar and lube). You can get the Clay Magic kit at Autozone for $12.00. Good Luck!

P.S. Apply a coat of wax after sap is completely removed.
Well i hardly think he used the one with non-acetone in it. I hope he researches before the next incident.
Old 09-01-08, 11:41 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm tree sap is easy to remove with the bug and tar things from auto zone. BUG B GONE works like magic
Old 09-01-08, 11:50 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

any sort of bug/tar/paint cleaner will work. I personally use one made by turtle wax to remove bugs and bird droppings on my car. All you need is a dab and let it sit for a little to have it break down the stain and you just wipe it off. Repeat as needed until the stain is removed. Of course I'm sure at least some fine bits of the stain might have embedded into the paint so whenever you can, as others have said, claybar your car to remove the bits and you're all set!

And tree sap is exactly what I don't park under trees. Plus a gust could blow and a branch could fall on your car, berries/acorns could fall off, a bird could sit on a branch and "do a little business" or maybe even leaves could fall all over your car and get stuck (trust me I was once under this weird tree that kept shedding these disgusting things on my car and it rained so it got stuck). The list could go on and on.

I personally like to park either in a garage or out in the open where only bird droppings could affect me which I just take out my trust stain remover and BAM! it's gone!
Old 09-02-08, 06:14 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

clay bar, then wax. and dont park under those trees