Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Crazy scratches on hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 12:16 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timer00
Going to my preferred body shop guy now I'll see what he says.

Well he took one look at the hood and said "Someone repainted this already" and apparently he also said it wasn't very good since it failed like this.
I am thinking after all the waxing and abrasives and rewaxing of the hood it broke down whatever was there and the scratches were being revealed more and more as I went.

He said definetely a respray while blending in the tops of the fenders etc... he couldn't give me a real estimate because he doesn't know whats underneath the old paint on the hood yet (bondo, body filler) but said could be 2-3-4 hundred depending which considering I can afford about $650 tops I really want to get it done.

Thanks for all the help

Carfax after I bought the car showed it clean but that doesn't really mean much if someone repainted a hood. Car drivers perfect straight and true and all the other body panels are pristine practically.
coming from dealership experience, carfax doesn't mean ***** if the incidents were not reported through insurance companies. Therefore, IMO is not worth the paper it gets printed on.
Old 09-16-08, 12:24 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't put it past kids these days to do something like taking a big wad of steel wool to your hood, just for kicks.
And probably when you went over it with polishing compound, the compound got embedded in the scratches and made them even more visible. Looks awful but I hope you can get it fixed up at a reasonable price.
Old 09-19-08, 08:09 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So what's the conclusion? What did the body shop say?
Old 09-20-08, 05:32 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timer00
Going to my preferred body shop guy now I'll see what he says.

Well he took one look at the hood and said "Someone repainted this already" and apparently he also said it wasn't very good since it failed like this.
I am thinking after all the waxing and abrasives and rewaxing of the hood it broke down whatever was there and the scratches were being revealed more and more as I went.

He said definetely a respray while blending in the tops of the fenders etc... he couldn't give me a real estimate because he doesn't know whats underneath the old paint on the hood yet (bondo, body filler) but said could be 2-3-4 hundred depending which considering I can afford about $650 tops I really want to get it done.

Thanks for all the help

Carfax after I bought the car showed it clean but that doesn't really mean much if someone repainted a hood. Car drivers perfect straight and true and all the other body panels are pristine practically.
Sorry to hear about this man, I know how you feel. I was going to ask you what type of towel you use to remove polish/wax but if it's just the hood it makes me think it was either a crappy repaint, or someone polished through the clear coat.

Carfax def. does not show you everything. My car has clean carfax but I found a bundle of documents showing replaced/repainted panels on my car after I bought it oh well,

Good luck to ya, post some pics after the repaint!
Old 09-20-08, 07:08 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
So what's the conclusion? What did the body shop say?
If you didn't see it yet refer to last post on Page 1
Old 09-20-08, 07:10 AM
morgan06
Rookie

Definitely clear coat failure. I agree with your body shop in assuming it's been repainted unless this is a common occurrence on that production year LS.

Generally if the paint looks chalky/oxidized and restoration products only make the condition worse it's clear coat failure. The only recourse is to respray. If it's any consolation, whether you noticed it earlier and tried to repair it immediately it would have been the same result.
Old 09-20-08, 01:11 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you you use a broom to remove the snow ?
Old 09-21-08, 07:15 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Did you you use a broom to remove the snow ?
Nope, I wouldn't take my car out if it was covered in snow plus it was underneath a carport so the only snow was on the very tip of the trunk and halfway up the hood.

Basically somehow the clear coat got damaged and then I made it worse by trying to get the "scratches" out with more mild abrasive stuff and then as the car sat through another spring/summer it got to where it is now.
Old 09-27-08, 12:02 PM
I<3myIS300
Driver

yea i almost wonna say that does look like someone took steel wool to ur hood and just went wax off and wax on with ur **** haha that sucks tho man!!