Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning Rubber Mats

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 10:57 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Rubber Mats

Hoping this is not a repeat question as I did try to search for it.

What I'm trying to do is find the best way to clean my rubber mats and restore that nice dark black (almost shiny) new rubber look. Mine are only 2yrs old (only used in the winter) and are in good shape, but they seem to have changed their color a little. I typically just hose them down and use a regular bristle brush to get the into the grooves and get the dirt out.

Should I use something like 303 Aerospray on it? Or is there something else that would work well?
Old 09-19-08, 12:30 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

After cleaning them well, you could use something like 303 on them. Just make sure to remove any excess off of the mats. You don't want your feet sliding aroudn on them.
Old 09-19-08, 02:35 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

to clean them, i use simple green and a powerwasher (hose with good pressure will work just fine). as far as restoring them to that original color, look for a red bottle of meguiars vinyl/plastic/rubber dressing, its a spray bottle sold at autozone for about 5 dollars, i used it on my sister's landrover freelander which has plastic bumpers that were all faded, it looks excellent after
Old 09-19-08, 04:25 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BounceNY
Hoping this is not a repeat question as I did try to search for it.

What I'm trying to do is find the best way to clean my rubber mats and restore that nice dark black (almost shiny) new rubber look. Mine are only 2yrs old (only used in the winter) and are in good shape, but they seem to have changed their color a little. I typically just hose them down and use a regular bristle brush to get the into the grooves and get the dirt out.

Should I use something like 303 Aerospray on it? Or is there something else that would work well?
When I do people's cars who have rubber mats, I use Poorboys APC and agitate w/ a soft bristled brush in some soapy water. Works very well for me.
I will dress them with Fade2Black, which I've found to be a little less slippery when applied to rubber mats/steps, etc.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/fainshinande.html
Old 09-20-08, 07:14 AM
morgan06
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
I will dress them with Fade2Black, which I've found to be a little less slippery when applied to rubber mats/steps, etc.
That's an important point to consider when dressing all season mats or side steps. You don't want to use anything greasy that could increase the chance of an accident.
Old 09-20-08, 07:40 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have tan rubber winter mats in my daily driver. These get pretty grimy and the tan color tends to highlight any dirt or grime. I clean them with APC sprayed on the mats and let it set for a few minutes then I agitate with a tire brush. Once clean, I rinse them well and follow up with Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. This product makes rubber or vinyl look like new again with no artificial greasy shine and it is not slippery. Also contains UV protection.
Old 09-20-08, 01:35 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, great thanks for all the responses!