Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax Buff marks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 03:05 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wax Buff marks?

Hey I had to wax my car before school the other day, and it was getting dark, I was getting tired, so the it took me like 2 hours to buff the whole thing and the the wax got a bit hard, I had to use more force to buff.

Today Under the sun I see what looks like disgusting swirls, but upon closer look it wasn't swirls? There were no scratch, but it looks like some lady with big ***** did swirly motions down my car. It looks like hand prints on a freshly washed car if I am to compare it.

Is this what they call buffing marks?

And how do I remove this? Can I remove it with a wash? Or do I have to buff my whole car again?

Thank!
Old 09-19-08, 03:42 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
Hey I had to wax my car before school the other day, and it was getting dark, I was getting tired, so the it took me like 2 hours to buff the whole thing and the the wax got a bit hard, I had to use more force to buff.

Today Under the sun I see what looks like disgusting swirls, but upon closer look it wasn't swirls? There were no scratch, but it looks like some lady with big ***** did swirly motions down my car. It looks like hand prints on a freshly washed car if I am to compare it.

Is this what they call buffing marks?

And how do I remove this? Can I remove it with a wash? Or do I have to buff my whole car again?

Thank!
sounds like you used too much wax and/or let it sit for too long. i don't really know how to correct this except maybe re-polish to get that wax off and then re-wax.

you really only need a little wax to do the job, if you can see the wax as its going on the car as white, you're using too much. The wax going on should be almost invisible and then once you let it cure on for a little while itll haze over and you should be able to see it better.
Old 09-19-08, 05:15 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah I used too much. This is not good, I do no possess any polishing tools, and I was hoping to avoid having to polish :x

I am going to give it a wash tmrw and try to buff it again...
Old 09-19-08, 06:14 PM
khooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy some Meguiar's Scratch X and you can buff out those marks with ease, by hand.. Even though it is called Scratch x, it will do the trick.
Old 09-19-08, 06:46 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah I used too much. This is not good, I do no possess any polishing tools, and I was hoping to avoid having to polish :x

I am going to give it a wash tmrw and try to buff it again...
Wash with dawn and it should cure your problems. You will have to rewax though.
Old 09-19-08, 08:48 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

but it looks like some lady with big ***** did swirly motions down my car. It looks like hand prints on a freshly washed car if I am to compare it.
Maybe some lady with big ***** did touch your car....

Try using some QD and a MF on it to see if it can remove it.
Old 09-20-08, 05:21 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into the same problem, spent hours claying, polishing, buffing, waxing, and still saw horrible "swirls" of some sort. It can only be seen in hard light but man was I pissed. My car is black so any mistakes or imperfections are easily visible.

I never found a way to completely get rid of them, but I used a spray wax/finishing spray and went over the car after waxing and that seemed to help a bit.
Old 09-20-08, 07:16 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you haven't introduced actual swirls into the paint by the hard rubbing you should be able to re-wax the car, panel at a time. The wax contains the same solvents that make it liquid when you apply it and should re-liquify any hardened wax residue that might be on the paint. Apply the wax and use less product. Try doing a panel or two at a time. Make sure the paint surface is cool to the touch and do this out of the sun.

If it turns out that you have actually induced swirls or light scratches in the paint you will need a polish to remove them. If you don't have a PC, you only have a couple options. Get some ScratchX and a big tube of BenGay and do it by hand, or take it to a detailer for a polish. A third option is to try a wax that contains a lot of fillers to hide the swirls.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-20-08 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 09:09 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

nope no swirls.

I just went to check it out, and it looks like when your wiper is wiping a dry wind shield it leaves that "smudge" or "burn" mark temporarily onto the glass, that same type of mark is in buffing motion pattern on my paint @.@

When you look at it, it seems to be beneath the clear coat in the same layer as the metallic crystals... so I know its not swirl marks.

Hrm... I will decide to either wax it again or wash it. The car has become a dust magnet so I don't know whether to wipe the dust off and wax it (risking swirls maybe?) or wash it (not being able to remove the marks since I use Meg's Gold Wash made to preserve wax).

Last edited by mikez; 09-20-08 at 09:12 AM.