Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

feels like i'm driving in a sandstorm!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 11:32 AM
Needler56
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feels like i'm driving in a sandstorm!!

i just picked up an 08 250 about a week or so ago and what i thought was just dirt on my windshield is in fact some sort of overspray all over the window. it's actually on all my windows and i can only see it in direct sunlight. it appears to be coming off, but it's very hard to come off. i plan on bringing it back to the dealership soon and have them clean it up, but in the meanwhile, any ideas as to what this is or if there's way to clean it?
Old 09-23-08, 12:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Needler56
any ideas as to what this is or if there's way to clean it?
You have to know what it is first, before you can efficiently clean it.

If water cannot get rid of it, it may be oil based. Try using a degreaser, but make sure you keep it off the paint.
Old 09-23-08, 12:31 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Why would you take the car back to the dealership to clean a dirty windsheild?!
Use a razor blade and scrape it off. Or if your scared it will scratch the windshield, use a claybar...
Old 09-23-08, 12:48 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

steel wool does the trick
Old 09-23-08, 01:02 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

OP,

I second the degreaser. You can also try using a razor blade to try and scrape it off...something similar to what you use to clean a glass stovetop.

I used this on my friend's audi after his car was hit with overspray at his office.
Old 09-23-08, 05:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 423 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
steel wool does the trick
it better by FINE steel wool, but i would stay away from that until you really know what's the substance.

when i took delivery i noticed my car had some flakes around the paint and glass too, and to my conclusion found out it was excess delivery film from when they are transported. they had just removed it when i received the car that evening. it wasn't enough to make me think it was "sandy" so i dunno about your situation. good luck sir.
Old 09-23-08, 06:28 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

clay it. Should do the trick.
Old 09-23-08, 06:55 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

on a similar note, I've tried damn near everything for mine and my father's windshields (01 gs3 and 01 ls430) and the spots will not go away. I know theyre both old and have a lot of miles on them, but i'm really considering replacing the damn thing. In direct light it looks like it's been sandblasted, same on the LS. any ideas on how to correct it? i know jewelers rouge suspended in alcohol has been used before to polish glass but is there anything else more readily available?

btw OP, there is NO way an 08 should have this problem on the windshield, i think you may have been right to take it back but should have tried cleaning it first.
Old 09-23-08, 08:11 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

claybar
or try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic version) with alcohol.
Old 09-24-08, 06:51 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

On older cars, it's probably years of "sandblasting" etched on the glass. On a new car it's more likely some form of overspray. Alternatively, do you live near pine trees? They can produce tiny, messy, particles of sap that show up really bad in the right light.
Old 09-24-08, 08:14 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
On older cars, it's probably years of "sandblasting" etched on the glass. On a new car it's more likely some form of overspray. Alternatively, do you live near pine trees? They can produce tiny, messy, particles of sap that show up really bad in the right light.
right, we know that but the question asked was how can you correct the sandblasting without replacement, if possible?
Old 09-24-08, 08:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My concern would not be on "How do I remove this?" but "Why is it there?".

If this is overspray, then you can conclude that your "New 08?" Lexus had paid a visit to a body shop prior to your picking it up. Dealers are not required to disclose this on new vehicles but I'd be mad as hell to find that I just paid a lot of money for a repaired vehicle. Repaints are never as good as OEM paints, IMHO. I'd be back to the dealer demanding to know why my car was sent to a body shop, what was repaired and why. You also need to know this so as not to apply wax or sealant to freshly painted areas for at least 90 days to avoid paint damage. Of course, if this is a used vehicle you likely will never know the why.

Clay is the best way to remove overspray. Wash your vehicle and dry it then draw your dry fingertips gently over the paint on the hood, roof and see of the overspray is on the paint as well. If it's on the glass and is hard to remove you can bet it is on the paint too. If it feels rough it will need to be clayed.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-24-08 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-24-08, 09:36 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
clay it. Should do the trick.

^^^ I would clay it, then polish it by hand. Maybe with KAIO and then seal it with a sealant. If you're going to polish by a buffer, put it on the lowest setting.
Old 09-24-08, 10:01 AM
Needler56
Driver

Originally Posted by Giggity
Why would you take the car back to the dealership to clean a dirty windsheild?!
Use a razor blade and scrape it off. Or if your scared it will scratch the windshield, use a claybar...
using a squeegee is as far as i've gotten in cleaning it and i've been suggested to use a razor, but i haven't had the time. i'll be bringing it into the dealership for it's 1,000 mile check up anyway so i figure i'd just have them do it.

Originally Posted by jfelbab
My concern would not be on "How do I remove this?" but "Why is it there?".

If this is overspray, then you can conclude that your "New 08?" Lexus had paid a visit to a body shop prior to your picking it up. Dealers are not required to disclose this on new vehicles but I'd be mad as hell to find that I just paid a lot of money for a repaired vehicle. Repaints are never as good as OEM paints, IMHO. I'd be back to the dealer demanding to know why my car was sent to a body shop, what was repaired and why. You also need to know this so as not to apply wax or sealant to freshly painted areas for at least 90 days to avoid paint damage. Of course, if this is a used vehicle you likely will never know the why.

Clay is the best way to remove overspray. Wash your vehicle and dry it then draw your dry fingertips gently over the paint on the hood, roof and see of the overspray is on the paint as well. If it's on the glass and is hard to remove you can bet it is on the paint too. If it feels rough it will need to be clayed.
great info, thanks!!
Old 10-12-08, 04:22 AM
Needler56
Driver

turns out there was overspray on the headlights, parts of the fenders, hood and front doors. the first time i took it in, there was some sort of miscommunication and they only did the front part of the car-and it looked great. i brought it in a second time to do the rest of the car and the windows and now the body looks and feels amazing, but there is still overspray on the windows.

now, it sort of looks like glitter (as mentioned in another member's post). it's not as bad as before and the glass feels a lot smoother. is overspray harder to remove off glass and is the dealership not putting in enough elbow grease? or is possible that this is not even overspray and some sort of other contimaninent?

unfortunately during the time of day at the dealership, the window looked perfectly clear. should i take matters into my own hands or keep on going back to the dealership?

Last edited by Needler56; 10-12-08 at 04:40 AM.

Quick Reply: feels like i'm driving in a sandstorm!!