Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

REVIEWED: Rubbish Boys OE, Prima Banana Gloss, "Swissvax" Brush, Collonite 476

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 09:14 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default REVIEWED: Rubbish Boys OE, Prima Banana Gloss, "Swissvax" Brush, Collonite 476

This is a follow up on my recent "Collections" threads

Unfortunately no pics for now but it will be updated again soon since I need to do the RX as well lol

------------------------------------------------

Rubbish Boys Original Edition Wax
This is my first wax that I have imported exclusively from Europe. I was actually expecting a lot out of this wax and it did not disappoint! It looked great when you took it off. Didn't mute flakes but actually enhanced them a bit.

Pros:
-Smells of Orange Rinds
-Slightly darkened the shade of my ES
-Very easy to apply even though it is a hard wax
-Normal wipe off procedure after wax had cured
-Looks AMAZING after

Cons:
-Takes a hell of a long time to cure due to high carnauba content and slow evaporating solvent (7+ hours in the shade for me)
-Streaks when you take it off so you need to do a wipedown again with a clean MF towel
-Sweats if it does not cure all the way (at least 2 days worth in the sun lol)

Verdict:
Loving the wax, just wish curing process didn't take ages for me. I will be experimenting with different environments for the curing process to figure out which one is the best. Will definitely buy it again.

---------------------------------------------------------

Prima Banana Gloss
First Prima wax that I have tried. Supposed to be applicable in ANY condition since it immediately hazes up after. Also supposed to add gloss to the finish. Great for those detailers who are low on time and have not protected the car yet.

Pros:
-SUPER EASY application
-Smells nice
-Instant haze
-Very easy removal
-Increases gloss of paint
-Durability= ???? (not tested)

Cons:
-The fact that it was the consistency of water threw me off during the application process so I spilled some on the ground....

Verdict:
Great for if you are in a hurry to slap on some protection on your car. Did exactly as it said. I'll be buying this again for me and my customers vehicles to use.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Swissvax" Brush
Originally purchased from Michaels, I wanted to see if this would be a great alternative to everyone's favorite wheel brush. Its made in Germany and the ring around the bristles is the same material as the SV brush. The bristles are stiff but soft enough to not harm the finish of the wheel. Didn't shed much hairs (occasionally 1-2 pieces per car) and performed quite nicely. I am picking up more before the only ones left are made in China lol

Verdict:
I like it. Works for me and I don't mind if it sheds every now and then. Cheap alternative to the real one.

-----------------------------------------------------

Collonite 476
This is a new wax for me. Completely blew away my thought of applying waxes "thin." First application was done by hand and I put too much. As a result it was like concrete. I used my entire 1L mix of Last Touch to remove it off my car.

However, my next application was done by machine on speed 1 with a 4in Black LC pad. I wet the pad by soaking it in water and then spin drying it. After that I placed the pad inside the can of 476 and turned it on speed 1. That gave me enough to do 2.5 panels and each pass was SUPER thin so this will be my method from now on. It was easier to remove than by hand.

Pros:
-easy to apply by hand or machine
-easy to remove if applied by machine (for me anyway)
-gloss level increased in paint
-supposedly LONG durability
-3.5-4in pads fit perfectly in container
-redefines your definition of "thin"

Cons:
-hard to take off if applied by hand (for me anyway)
-has a learning curve to it
-redefines your definition of "thin"
-need to keep a screwdriver or something flat handy to take off lid

Verdict:
I don't know if I like it yet. My Collonite 845 seems easier to use. For now, this is...AWAITING VERDICT BY ME.
Old 09-26-08, 11:46 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Col. 476 definitely is a tough wax... durability is top notch.

i haven't wax my car with a carnuba based for a very long time....would definitely buy to try the Rubbish Boy's OE.

thanks for the write up!
Old 09-27-08, 04:09 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Col. 476 definitely is a tough wax... durability is top notch.

i haven't wax my car with a carnuba based for a very long time....would definitely buy to try the Rubbish Boy's OE.

thanks for the write up!
Yup, its good stuff. I can't wait to try out ALL of my new collection

Where were you today Eric? I don't think I saw you at the MOL meet
Old 09-27-08, 05:57 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

I did, didn;t you see my car? I think I parked beside your car if you were driving your ES?
Old 09-28-08, 04:01 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, we need to get nametags for these things. I didn't remember half the people I met yesterday lol