Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I ordered a PC, so now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08 | 02:52 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Default I ordered a PC, so now what?

Your ordered the following items:
PORT7424-KIT 6" POLISHER W/6" PAD/WGHT 1 $ 119.00 $ 119.00
LAKE43-148DA 6" H&L BACKING PAD 1 $ 19.00 $ 19.00
LAKE78-2165-152M 6-1/2 ORANGE PAD 1 $ 9.95 $ 9.95
LAKE78-9165-152M 6-1/2 BLUE PAD 1 $ 9.95 $ 9.95
LAKE78-7165-152M 6-1/2 BLACK PAD 1 $ 9.95 $ 9.95

SubTotal $ 167.85
Shipping: $ 8.50
TotalTax: $ 0.00
FinalTot: $ 176.35
My new LS has some very fine scratches on the rocker panel (probably from dirt road by previous owner) and the trunk door only. The trunks marks are not swirled, more like something was dragged across the surface, and only visible looking at an angle in bright lighting. Any tips on the products I should consider? I'm in Canada, so Zaino is not that available here, but Meguiars is, although I'm willing to go south to get any better products (Seattle?).
Old 09-27-08 | 03:20 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Tons of products to consider. I really think poorboys products work well via PC. You might also consider trying out a smaller 5.5" pad on the PC too.
Anyway, if you go poorboys, you would want to do ssr2.5 on the orange pad, then ssr1 on the white pad. If you have black or dark paint, you might also consider Black Hole Glaze via your black pad. Then just top off w/ your choice of wax
If you need anything from the states, I can help out. I ship to a lot of guys in canada via USPS.
Old 09-27-08 | 08:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

For correction with a PC you want to use a 3.5in backing plate and 4" pads. I would try and use a orange pad to see if you can correct your scratches with it, if you can't you might want to step up a yellow pad or a whool pad. Menzerna makes very good polishes but you will have to order them. You would probably want Menz Intensive Polish and may need a compound if the scratches are pretty bad. There are some videos on the internet that shows the proper use of a PC and what products to use. Autopia.org is a great site to learn about detailing and ask detailing questions. Mequiars makes some decent polishes and compounds, they are usaully in tan bottles and are a little pricey but I have heard good things about them. I use Menzerna IP and orange pads and finish down with a less aggressive polish or an AIO and white pad to eliminate haze and have been satisfied with the results. If the scratches are too deep(you can feel them with your finger nail) there is not much you can do in correcting them unless you want to risk wetsanding.
Old 09-27-08 | 10:22 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Congratulations on the new car ! What color is it ?
If you decide to get Zaino, you wont be disappointed either. They make a really nice swirl mark/light scratch product called ZPC-Fusion, that finishes perfectly clear, so you dont need to use other polishes after it. I have used it with yellow pads on really badly damaged black finishes and it worked out perfectly. All of their products compliment each other too, so there is no risk of messing anything up. What I like best about them is that you dont have to apply them all the time, they last for months and months, especially after being treated with their Clear Seal..
I bet if you email Sal Zaino at his website, he will be able to tell you if he has an independent dealer in your area.
If you can get some good quality pictures of the car under good halogen or flourescent lighting, we can probably help better diagnose your needs.
Enjoy the ride, and hope to see pics of it sometime. I have the same P/C as you have and a new Flex XC 3401VRG. DanF
Old 09-28-08 | 05:20 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Where do you guys recommend buying the 4" 5.5" back plates? Just wondering, thanks.
Old 09-28-08 | 06:10 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Where do you guys recommend buying the 4" 5.5" back plates? Just wondering, thanks.
HEre ya go:

3.5" backing plate to run 4" pads
4.7/8" backing plate to run 5.5"-6.5" pads
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/flbapl.html

Link to all plate/pad products:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/bupaac.html
Old 09-28-08 | 10:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I got mine at autogeek, you can also look on autopia.org as they also sell products on that site. They were Lake Country CCS pads and backing plate.
Old 09-29-08 | 10:31 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

What do you use to wash your pads? I was reading that dishwashing soap is a no no.
Old 09-29-08 | 11:39 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pingu
What do you use to wash your pads? I was reading that dishwashing soap is a no no.
Prespray with the pad cleaner, allow it to dwell for a few minutes, then blast w/ a hose or rinse in sink. Repeat if necessary.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/chgupopadclr.html
Old 09-29-08 | 12:13 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I bought this car with 800 miles on the odo, and the only concern I had was the paint. Overall, it suffers from swirls probably from poor washing techniques, but fortunately that can be corrected. I'm convinced now that the first owner made a mistake buying the optional paint sealer offered by the dealer. I'm sure most of you will agree that this "diamond coat process, as it's called" should never, never be purchased from the dealer, but from a reputable professional shop. I would never have done this. I'll be stripping this mess, so that's a good thing.

It's obvious looking at the above that the company who applied the optional paint sealer was a little bit too aggressive with their buffer. That's the worst of it.

This image shows the Lexus Canada supplied bra with a scuff mark. I suppose I can try and buff it out gently.

I'll take a hard look at the rocker panel next.

The color btw is Smoky Granite Mica 1G0, or Black Pearl as it's called in Canada