Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How Often Should you Clean / Condition Your Lexus Leather??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 08:40 AM
omniskye
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Often Should you Clean / Condition Your Lexus Leather??

i recently bought a new 08 GS350 a few months ago and wanted to know:

1. when i should start conditioning the leather? is it too early?

2. how often should you clean/condition the leather? once every 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?

3. i read many other threads and lots of people recommending lexol, but for convenience and availability sake buying at local stores....i bought the Meguiar's Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. has anybody had a BAD experience with this product on their lexus leather?

4. for my other car, i haven't used leather cleaner and conditioner since i bought the car almost 2 years ago. is the leather still "repairable", even after non-treatment for 2+ years?

thanks so much and i appreciate the input and guidance.
Old 09-28-08, 10:07 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure when you should begin conditioning, but when the weather is warmer you need to condition it more often since the heat will dry out the leather faster...especially if you leave the car out in the sun often.

I find that meguiar' s rich leather cleaner and conditioner leaves the leather with a slippery feel for a couple days afterward and does not condition the leather as well as lexol does... but its still an okay product
Old 09-28-08, 11:28 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually 2x a year to sufficient. Just maintain by wiping down once every 4-6 weeks if its driven often. You shouldnt need to do the new car right away, it can probably wait.
For the other car, give Leatherique a shot. I posted a writeup in here about a week ago. The rejuvinator oil works absolute wonders. If anything will do it, its that
Old 09-29-08, 07:40 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordering the leatherique package from your site right now Chris, is there a discount code or anything?

EDIT - LOL just noticed your sig, my bad!

Last edited by UpstateLex; 09-29-08 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Stupid & Can't read
Old 09-29-08, 09:13 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
Ordering the leatherique package from your site right now Chris, is there a discount code or anything?

EDIT - LOL just noticed your sig, my bad!
lol... yes, as you noticed, the sig contains the discount code for you guys
Thanks for the order
Old 09-30-08, 08:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
I am not sure when you should begin conditioning, but when the weather is warmer you need to condition it more often since the heat will dry out the leather faster...especially if you leave the car out in the sun often.

I find that meguiar' s rich leather cleaner and conditioner leaves the leather with a slippery feel for a couple days afterward and does not condition the leather as well as lexol does... but its still an okay product
Same here. As much as I like most of Meg's products, I don't especially like their leather products. I've used the Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and found that if I wipe it down an hour after application with a slightly damp MF the slippery feeling goes away.

My products of choice for leather, surprisingly, are from Lexus. Their Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner are quite decent.

I typically clean and condition monthly in the warmer months and extend that to quarterly in the winter depending on how soiled the leather gets, of course.