Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

window cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 02:05 PM
Joe S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window cleaning

Hi Everyone,
Well I might be late to the party on this one but just encase I figure I would share with you. One of my passions and hobbies has been car detailing. I have all the buffers and in recent years was introduce to the Zaino products which I thought was the best car sealant I ever used. The only area I had trouble was with the windows, especially the inside window shield. Sound familiar? Despite how hard, and how many times, I left streaks. Some years ago I started to use an old product Glass Wax. It worked really well but left a powder residue. The product is no longer made.
Almost fours years ago I was diagnosed with cancer and had life changing surgery. As a result I'm much weaker so I cannot scrub or wipe that inside window shield as in the past. I'm just getting back to working on the cars again.
I bought a window cleaning kit for our new home from a professional window cleaning company on the internet. Besides doing the home windows I ordered a few smaller items to try it on the car. Well I just did the Lexus and my Denali, and I cannot believe how easy and how clean it got the window shield.
Here is the information if interested.
www.windowcleaningkits.com They are owned by Detroit Sponge Company. Or any windowing kit. Just need small sqeegee and small scrubber. You can order cleaning solution (pretty cheap) or mix small amount of dawn and water.
All you need to order is the standard car kit or the hot rod car kit. I had ordered the estate kit for my home and added the 6" scrubber. You can go to youtube and look up window cleaning. There are videos that can give you tips.
What I did today was mix a small solution in a spray bottle and sprayed the scrubber wiped the window, then used squeegee wiping squeegee after each wipe. Then used micro towel to clean the edges.
Again, I might be the last guy to find out about this but I'm glad I did.
Joe

Last edited by Joe S; 10-16-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 03:13 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need is a clean MF towel to clean the streaks off of the glass.
Old 10-16-08, 07:45 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Appreciate the information, sorry that you had this life-changing challenge, glad that you have overcome it and are on the road to recovery.

I have been cleaning all the windows on our 2-story for years with these same tools, but from a different vendor. I totally agree that a squeege and a good window soap, and a small towel to wipe the squeege clean. The good window soap really makes a difference and there are never streaks.
I bought these products at Home Depot and they are by a little old italian glass cleaner who started his business at the turn of the 19th century in the East Coast. His name is Ettore' and his products have this name. They work great but I have never thought of trying them out on the car windows.
Thanks for your great post, and hope you continue to get stronger.. DanF
Old 10-17-08, 11:54 AM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Default well

im a little bit old school.. and newspapers usually leave the window really really clean... meh
Old 10-17-08, 12:26 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

paper towels and auto glass cleaner for me on any windows...no streaks, no fuss
Old 10-19-08, 01:19 AM
butterbeer
Pole Position

auto glass cleaner and newspapers
Old 10-19-08, 06:07 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokeyES35
im a little bit old school.. and newspapers usually leave the window really really clean... meh
Originally Posted by butterbeer
auto glass cleaner and newspapers
I've used newspapers and Windex before. I now use a MF towel and Stoner Invisible Glass. Hmm, I wonder if the results will be better if I used a newspaper with Stoner's? I'll give it a try.