Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best thing to remove scratches in bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 09:33 AM
dhuston99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best thing to remove scratches in bumper

Just bought a 07 GS350 and there are a few scratches on side of the rear bumper. Any recommendations on what to use to get them out. I bought some meguiars scratch x for some small scratches on the hood, will this work? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-08, 10:28 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...t-compound.htm

This works extremely fast and well with little effort by hand, but its aggressive, so if your scratch isn't that bad then maybe you should use M85

Last edited by darkdream; 11-01-08 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-31-08, 11:47 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dhuston99
Just bought a 07 GS350 and there are a few scratches on side of the rear bumper. Any recommendations on what to use to get them out. I bought some meguiars scratch x for some small scratches on the hood, will this work? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Working by hand will not be as effective compared to repairing it by machine. Which way are you planning to attack this?
If by hand, I'd suggest using ssr2 on either a microfiber applicator or an orange ccs foam pad. This is pretty much the strongest I'd suggest going by hand as compounds much stronger cant be effectively broken down by your hand and need machine speeds to do so. So I'd say to start w/ ssr2 then follow w/ ssr1 to refine.

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/ssr3.html

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/ssr.html

Applicators: either microfiber or orange ccs for the ssr2. White ccs for the ssr1.
Old 10-31-08, 01:48 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I make a suggestion of my own, can you elaborate on the deepness of the scratch? Is it like the standard swirl or can you feel it with your fingernails? That would probably let us give you a more accurate combo to use on your bumper

Both of the guys up top are right, its just that we sort of need to know more in detail about it besides a scratch thats all
Old 11-01-08, 10:14 PM
dhuston99
Driver School Candidate

Yes I can feel the scratch with my finger nail. I tried using the Scratch X today and it didnt work very well. Actually it looks worse. I think whatever hit me must have been a dark color because once I washed the area and used the Scratch X the area looks lighter and more noticeable. Any more ideas would be great! I will post pictures of it tomorrow if I get the time.
Old 11-02-08, 04:30 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can feel it with your fingernail, then chances are it'll be very difficult to make it disappear. In my experience, all I could do was make it less noticeable. I would take 3000gritt sandpaper and rub it down a bit then take a compound to it. That would "round" the scratch out and make it less obvious

Please post pictures as soon as you can. That will help us even further with giving you advice
Old 11-02-08, 04:53 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

^^agreed!

If you can feel it, chances are, it cant be removed, only improved. Follow eyezacks recommendations for the best outcome, but remember, you'll really need a machine to remove those wetsanding marks.