Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

paint treat, wax, and stonegard

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-01, 02:57 PM
timgr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Picked up our new Black Cherry GS300 last weekend. Of course, during the paper signing the dealer finance lady tried to sell us the paint treat/leather treat package. $795, I think.

Everything I've ever read says these are gimmicks.

I'd like to think so, but she mentioned that you don't need to wax again if you get the paint treament. I find that hard to believe, and I suspect a good carnuba wax job will provide as much protection as this $795 special.

I was thinking that instead I'd get the front end protected with stonegard, but I want to see a car that has it first. Does it really "disappear" on the car, so that it's hard to tell it's there? I would think you could still see the edges all the time.

Comments? Thanks folks!
-tim
Old 03-08-01, 04:42 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb ***Stoneguard***

I am continuously seeking out the finest car care products the world has to offer. You can see my right up in the "Bling Bling' announcement. My partner who owns a detail shop here in Dallas actually has this product on order. Once it arrives we have a test vehicle set up to see if it's "Hip or Hype" Stay tuned.......
Old 03-08-01, 07:30 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stone gaurd on my car the 3M film its a good Idea to put it on your car since the front of gs's tend to chip especialy if there black and yes it does show a little but the gaurds over the lights are amazing and I think there the best thing you can buy for your car since each headlight costs around $2000 to replace
Old 03-09-01, 04:56 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Stoneguard

Glad to hear that Biggie! I'll be sure and treat my lenses.
Old 03-09-01, 05:58 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Question

I like to hear more about this Stoneguard stuff. It's new to me.

Is this a sheet of something that gets applied like window tint or is it a spray or what?

Where do you get it/have it applied and about what does it cost?

Marty
Old 03-09-01, 09:02 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

You can get more detailed info at : http://www.stoneguard.com/sgcontent/default.asp
Old 03-09-01, 10:45 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Question wax+stoneguard/3m film

biggie/anyone,

if i place the stoneguard/3m film on the entire hood and bumper, can i still wax the car?

or, do i wax the car several times before, and then cover it up with the film?

thanks.
Old 03-09-01, 06:11 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry treatment

Sorry that a Lexus dealer is actually to the point of trying to soak us with the old paint/interior treatment scuz. Next we'll see pin stripes and/or undercoating. All profit, no customer benefit (at best)....sounds like some of the worst of the domestic dealership.

What a bucket of ******!!!! And if the sales force is doing that, what's the service department going to be up to? Certainly they are seperate departments, but the owner had to have mandated this sort of crap. He should be force to drive an Aztek forever.
Old 03-09-01, 07:54 PM
Grush
Rookie

Cool WILL

I had a friend who always "Minged" his car (same special sealant). He swore by it. However, let's get real on the value/price issue! I like the feel of just-waxed, and would never go w/o waxing.

Per StonGard, I believe you strip the wax, apply the film just like window tint, and then you can wax the film. I also was told it looks better on light cars than dark, flat better than metalic. I think the hood piece covers the front 12" . Then there's 2 seperate front bumper pieces. To purchase the whole kit and have it professionally installed (recommended), it approaches $900!

Will(gs4will), did you get my message??

Steve
Old 03-09-01, 08:47 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Question thanks steve.....

steve,

thanks for the info. you send me some message?
Old 03-09-01, 09:25 PM
Grush
Rookie

Will, check your Private Messages on this board.
Old 03-09-01, 10:30 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Smile steve, i got it.

steve,

i just forward you some message, please let me know you received them.

after reading your posts, i think i will only put the stoneguard on the head light lense cover. i too, like the ultra smooth feeling of 3 coats of carnuba wax, not to mention its intoxicating smell- i am a detail buff guy.
Old 03-09-01, 10:33 PM
Grush
Rookie

William, received your messages. Thanks. I too prefer the wax on...wax off method. I'll be talking with you more in the near future. Good luck on your new arrival!
Old 03-09-01, 10:35 PM
Grush
Rookie

Will , received your messages. I'll look forward to seeing your new 430. I'd like to throw some ideas back and forth re modifications as time goes on. Thanks, Steve
Old 03-10-01, 07:20 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Post Paint treatment...

Hey all,
There actually is a new paint treatment out there, I believe it's called Perma-plate or something to that effect. Anyways, it's mostly offered as a dealer installed option. My friends wife had in put on the new black Corvette she bought about a year ago, and the thing still looks brand new... high gloss, no swirls, etc... Basically they apply this coating to the paint, then every six months or so when you wash your car, you add a capful of a bonding agent to your wash bucket, and wash the car as normal, and you never need to wax again. I don't imagine this stuff wards off stone chips, but as a paint sealant/protectant it sound pretty good. She swears by it, but also said the cost was kind of steep at $1500. If the Lexus dealer offers the same stuff, sounds like a bargain at $795.
Also, about the Stoneguard/Xpel/3M film, the BMW/Audi crowd swears by it as well, and Porsche has been using it for years to protect the wide body models rear fender flairs.
Happy Trails,
Eric