Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

does lexol really keep leather like new, preventing shiny stiffness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 10:01 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default does lexol really keep leather like new, preventing shiny stiffness?

notice how lots of 5 year old cars have that shiny thick leather appearance, vastly different from when it was new.

i hate that shiny look.

has anyone here used lexol long enough to say whether it prevents that shiny stiff look?
Old 11-30-08, 11:02 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:shrug: My M is getting ready to go on 7 years old, and through consistent use of leatherique, I have no concerns at all.

Be careful about overapplying (think excessive) water based products though, as using them too often can prematurely dry out the leather.
Old 11-30-08, 02:58 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I think the "shiny stiff look" you are talking about has more to do with the type and quality of the leather, whether or not the leather has been maintained on a regular basis, and the type of leather conditioner used. I don't think anything can rescue leather that has gotten wet over and over and/or been baked by the sun over a long period of time.

I've been using Lexol products on the 00 LS400 I bought in 2003 just after it came off a three year lease. I doubt that the lessee had ever applied leather conditioner. Nothing is going to repair the minor sun damage to the top/back of the rear headrests but the slight cracking in the leather hasn't gotten any worse.

IMO, one of the best things one can do to preserve leather is to have the side and back windows tinted with a UV blocking tint and to use a windshield sun screen when parking outside. Better yet, park your car in a garage as much as possible.

I use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner two or three times each year and follow the instructions -- apply the conditioner with a soft cloth or applicator, let it set for few minutes, and wipe it off with a clean soft cloth. You don't want to let the conditioner dry on the leather. There doesn't seem to be any residue buildup and the leather sure hasn't gotten shiny.

It's nice that Lexol has become a mainstream product and more widely available. The local saddle shop used to be the only place to get it and they were often out of stock.
Old 11-30-08, 03:51 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
notice how lots of 5 year old cars have that shiny thick leather appearance, vastly different from when it was new.

i hate that shiny look.

has anyone here used lexol long enough to say whether it prevents that shiny stiff look?
You can't really avoid the 'shiny' look on the leather..just from using the seat, you are 'polishing' it everytime you get in/out/sit in it...Although some leather conditioners do leave a sheen, the actual leather surface is shiny from use.
Old 12-10-08, 09:34 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used Lexol cleaner/conditioner (orange bottle) on a buddies 2001 Mercury Sable that has never been cleaned. It worked like a charm renewing that new car look and even removed dirt and grime. I would strongly advise to wipe the seats down with soapy water first and do this in warm weather as the dirt will remove easier.
Old 12-10-08, 08:54 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuan92129
You can't really avoid the 'shiny' look on the leather..just from using the seat, you are 'polishing' it everytime you get in/out/sit in it...Although some leather conditioners do leave a sheen, the actual leather surface is shiny from use.
yep, ye old back and **** polish.
Old 12-10-08, 09:01 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

if your leather is really dry you can try using the lexol neatsfoot conditioner. it conditions more than the normal lexol conditioner and does not leave a shiny, oily residue either.
Old 12-10-08, 09:02 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

forgot to mention there's a pretty good sale on all lexol cleaners/conditioners on amazon by the way.