Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirl Removal Process

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08 | 06:01 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Swirl Removal Process

So I am getting ready to detail my car ('04 RX330) mainly to get rid of swirls and attempt to remove a few scratches. I think I understand the process but wanted to verify.

1. I plan on washing and then claying the car.
2. I plan to use a light cut orange pad with 3M rubbing compound over the car where the swirl marks reside. I plan to use my PC7424 at a low speed and light pressure since this is my first time using it.
3. I then will use a swirl remover polish.
4. Then I will use a zaino wax

Did I get it all right or am I missing something?
Old 12-07-08 | 06:44 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by luxury1
So I am getting ready to detail my car ('04 RX330) mainly to get rid of swirls and attempt to remove a few scratches. I think I understand the process but wanted to verify.

1. I plan on washing and then claying the car.
2. I plan to use a light cut orange pad with 3M rubbing compound over the car where the swirl marks reside. I plan to use my PC7424 at a low speed and light pressure since this is my first time using it.
3. I then will use a swirl remover polish.
4. Then I will use a zaino wax

Did I get it all right or am I missing something?
What 3M product are you planning on using. 3M Perfect-It ll Fine Cut Rubbing Compound? Pretty good but often leaves the finish with some marring. I'd likely start with the 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish and see how the paint reacts. If you need to use the rubbing compound you might find that you need to finish up with the finessing polish and pad, especially if you have a black or dark colored car.

There are a few good YouTube videos of the polishing process that show how this is done. Here is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89323lmQ2LI

Do a test area first and inspect the results to see if that combination of product and pad will accomplish what you want. If it does, you know what you need to do to the rest of the car. If not you need to adjust the polish or pad to be more or less aggressive. It's always a good practice to try the least aggressive combo first so as not to remove more paint than is necessary. Use of a halogen shop light on a tripod helps a great deal in inspecting the results.

Basically you put a small amount of polish on the pad and push it around bit in a 16"x16" area then turn on the PC to speed 3. Spread the polish over the 16" square and then up the speed to 5 and work the polish very slowly for a couple minutes but don't work it till it dries. Apply just enough pressure so that the PC pad keeps spinning. If you apply too much pressure the rotation will stop. Important to work the polish well, then remove the residue with a clean MF and inspect. Clean the pad after each section or two by applying it to a folded cotton towel and turn the PC on. Work the spent polish residue out of the pad and then continue on to the next area. If you are using too aggressive a pad/polish combo you will leave marring and might need to follow up with a finishing pad and fine polish.

Zaino can be particular about what it will bond to so you might want to IPA wipedown the paint or do their suggested Dawn wash prior to using Z. I don't normally use the 3M product so I'm not sure how well Z works over it.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-07-08 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-07-08 | 07:16 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Process sounds about right to me. You may find that you need a higher speed to break down the compound though. Dont be afraid of speeds 5 and 6... they arent too bad
Like Jim said though, test out a small area first to make sure its accomplishing what you expect of it.
Old 12-07-08 | 06:03 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
What 3M product are you planning on using. 3M Perfect-It ll Fine Cut Rubbing Compound? Pretty good but often leaves the finish with some marring.
It is the Perfect-It Fine Cut. Forgive my ignorance but what is marring?

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
Process sounds about right to me. You may find that you need a higher speed to break down the compound though. Dont be afraid of speeds 5 and 6... they arent too bad
Like Jim said though, test out a small area first to make sure its accomplishing what you expect of it.
Thank Chris, I just ordered some items from you today (pads, clay and SSR2 - order ending in 1358). Thanks for always getting back to me!
Old 12-08-08 | 08:50 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by luxury1
It is the Perfect-It Fine Cut. Forgive my ignorance but what is marring?

Thank Chris, I just ordered some items from you today (pads, clay and SSR2 - order ending in 1358). Thanks for always getting back to me!
Marring is usually just a term used to describe some imperfection left behind by an abrasive product.

Order shipped out today You should be receiving the tracking number shortly if you havent already! Thanks!