Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help me! I can't seem to get my windshield clean & I feel like I've tried everything.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 01:58 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me! I can't seem to get my windshield clean & I feel like I've tried everything.

Just like the thread title says.

I have large-ish 2 regions of my windshield (one of which is right where I look) that have some kind of oil/grease or something on them that I just can't get to come off.

I used rain-x winshield washer fluid, aero dynamic wiper blades (good up to 180km/h, so I know the wiper blades are making full contact and yes I double checked that they're in contact the whole way across).

Both the wiper blades and the winshield are brand new (in August/September) so age can't be the problem & they didn't have this problem when they were first installed.

Things I've tried:
- new tank of washer fluid (in case the other one had gotten 'too old' or something random)
- turtle wax car wash soap (I washed the car and always use the same soap on the whole car. No the other windows don't have any oil/grease issues)
- windex
- vinigar & hot water
- foaming glass cleaner (can't remember the brand, not my can)

During the day it's not a big deal, it doesn't hinder my vision or anything. the problem is when it's raining heavy or raining at all at night. The water obviously beads differently where this oil/grease is and somewhat screws with how well I can see everything.

I'll try and take a decent pic next time it's raining at night so I can show you guys what I mean.

In the mean time: HELP ME!!! I'm willing to try anything at this point (short of another new windshield)
Old 12-07-08, 03:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I's suggest trying Stoners Invisible Glass and a MF towel. You might also try scrubbing with a 3M Scotch Brite scrubbing pad. Don't use this pad on any coatings or tints.
http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc..._scouring.html
Old 12-07-08, 05:08 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Does the wiper just not clean this area when wiping? I had a similar problem with my truck. Its like the wiper refused to clean one area right in front of my line of sight, no matter if it was rain or wiper fluid. I tried a lot of things and finally had to replace the wiper arm and its worked flawlessly ever since.
Old 12-07-08, 05:48 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Dish Washing Liquid and/or Rubbing Alcohol, just not at the same time.

If there is grease or oil on there these should take it off.
Old 12-07-08, 06:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

It's not that the wiper isn't cleaning it per say; the area isn't visibly dirty, but what ever is on that part of the glass makes the water bead differently (worse). The wiper goes over and takes everything off except this misc invisible film (which is why I think it's oil/grease)

I'll give your guys' suggestions a shot tomorrow. The dish soap I did earlier and it failed (we use Palmolive & it usually takes anything off anything w.o damaging what ever I was trying to clean, but this time was no go).

Rubbing alcohol I have so that's easy enough to do.

The 3M Scotch Brite thingy, do I need to worry about abrasion at all? (read: do I need to be careful not to damage my glass)
Old 12-07-08, 06:13 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

steel wool...even with old/useless wiper, it will still give you awesome cleanliness
Old 12-07-08, 06:15 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem after replacing both of my car's front windshields. I made a heavy concoction of P21S Total Auto Wash and straight Dawn soap and rubbed it into the glass by hand. It got rid of all the oil on the exterior glass

I would recommend doing it before washing your car haha
Old 12-07-08, 09:06 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Green SOS pad; then 00 Grit steel wool then razor blade and lastly clay bar it ; also try toothpaste as well
Old 12-07-08, 11:34 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Dawn > Palmolive

Less lotion and oils and stuff. Just pure oil and wax stripping power.
Old 12-08-08, 08:56 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I had that problem after replacing both of my car's front windshields. I made a heavy concoction of P21S Total Auto Wash and straight Dawn soap and rubbed it into the glass by hand. It got rid of all the oil on the exterior glass

I would recommend doing it before washing your car haha
Total auto wash is great stuff
Old 12-08-08, 10:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would try to use a variety of the products CL members are suggesting like alcohol, vinegar, dawn, etc and maybe in larger amounts and spending more time then you were. After doing all that try clay baring it. If it still does not come out you may want to try some kind of bar/tar remover that is safe for auto class. Is this stuff visible to the eye or have a different texture to the touch? If so you may want to try going over it with a new razor blade at an angle and see if some starts coming off. If nothing works you may need to use a random orbital polisher like a PC7424 and a decent polish and then polish it out, you may need to step down to a finishing polish if a haze remains on your windshield. If you don't have a PC I am sure you can find a detailer that has one in your area.
Old 12-08-08, 01:55 PM
Lynn Matthews
Former Vendor

I would recommend the Autoglym Glass Polish & Cleaner

It is one of my very favorite products and unlike a glass cleaner, it has some polish in it to remove the grime that won't let go.

Lynn
Old 12-11-08, 09:06 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I would use Zaino Z-12 glass polish with my PC. Makes my windshield squeeky clean.
Old 12-27-08, 11:03 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
steel wool...even with old/useless wiper, it will still give you awesome cleanliness

000 steel wool won't scratch the glass, thats what we use on cars that have come across the ocean, they often have smears on the glass
Old 12-28-08, 12:21 AM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i had a similar problem. surprising enough it was the wipers. im thinking its just that you might need new wipers already. here is an odd question but are your wiper blades silicone? i ask because along time ago i had some silicone wiper blades and rainx and it would bead up and act the same way you were describing.

Quick Reply: Help me! I can't seem to get my windshield clean & I feel like I've tried everything.