Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Where to buy factory color paint + help with prep

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-08, 06:52 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Where to buy factory color paint + help with prep

I have a 97 sc300 in platinum metallic silver. The pain isnt in amazing condition but it isnt bad. However the roof is peeling and faded from being in the sun here in florida. I am going to eventually drop some cash and get the whole thing re painted professionally but for now I would just like to touch up the roof which I feel will dramatically improve the general appearance. There is a guy near my work who does tons of murals and paint stuff (painted his whole van as a mural). He said if I sanded the roof, taped it off, and brought him the paint he would respray the top of the car and clear coat it for dirt cheap. I just need this to last a year or so until I repaint the whole thing. Where is the best place for me to go and pick up this paint if I have the lexus paint code. I am looking to get it for as cheap as possible.
As far as the prep work goes, can anyone point me in a good direction to get ready to get sprayed. I was going to buy a roll of paper to cover the rest of the car and just tape off everything that isnt getting painted. It just needs to be the roof and the A and B pillars. I know I am also going to have to do some sanding to the top to get it ready... any advice on this? Thanks!

p.s. if he uses all his gear and does the car at his house, how long would you recommend I leave the car before i move it and drive it home
Old 12-20-08, 07:18 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure you can get it mixed at any body shop.
Old 12-20-08, 08:06 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Ok cool. I didnt know if I had to go to a lexus shop or anything like that. Any pointers for getting the car ready? The more stuff I do myself, the cheaper it will be.
Old 12-22-08, 06:46 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I commend you on trying to do some of the work yourself. Just keep in mind trying to save a few dollars now might end up costing alot more when your ready for the full job to be done. Remember, when dealing with metallics theres a few things to consider with respect to painting. I know ur not looking for concours quality but I'd recommend just waiting til you can do it all at once and do it right.

At his house, ur kidding? Does he have a booth? Oven or heat lamps? Outside temp and weather. All these and more determine how long it has to sit before it can be moved.

Curious, your car only has 74k I think from your sig. Has it ever been sprayed before? Seems odd that it would peel with such low mileage even with FL sun but seeing as Im not a resident there dont have first-hand knowledge of the damages the sun can evoke.
Old 12-22-08, 01:33 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. It doesnt appear to have been sprayed before. The car is 11 years old and that is plenty of time, regardless of miles, for the sun to do some harm down here. Its not so much peeling as just faded, just a few small parts are chipped off. It is the sun because the weather stripping is also kind of dry and needs to be replaced sometime in the future.
Old 12-22-08, 05:34 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Body shops don't generally mix paint for the general public, that's not what they're in business for. ..what you need to do is go to a place where the bodyshop GETS THEIR paint mixed, and that would be an automotive paint and bodyshop supply company.

Up here in Daytona we have FINISHMASTER (they sell DuPont and other brands) and BEN'S PAINTS, which carries the PPG line.

Look in your Yellow Pages under 'Automotive Refinishing Supplies', it will usually be in or near the section where collision repairs and and body shops are.

Good luck!