Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

GS 300 lives outdoors

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 01:51 PM
Delyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 300 lives outdoors

Hi All,

I have just purchased my first Lexus and am, of course, in love with it

However, I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains with no garage Thus, I face redwood sap, moist conditions and tree dust. The car also sits outside in the sun at work each day down in the valley.

I commute and work a lot of hours and am not too interested in detailing the car myself. I DO, however, want to provide it with the best care I can.

Have read posts that Cilajet is a huge waste of money. Would you all simply recommend a good wax and polish from a reputable brushless car wash place on a regular basis? How often? I've used Classic Car Wash in the past but feel free to comment on that as well.

Also, I had to have the Cashmire leather. Any protectant suggestions?

I'm willing to spend the money and have given my cars in the past good care. Would appreciate anyone's suggestions or comments.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.
Old 01-01-09, 03:11 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

If you're not too interested in doing it yourself, I'd probably recommend finding a local detailer as opposed to using a car wash to maintain the vehicle. A detailer should use higher quality product and take more care.
If you have access to a hose, I'd suggest just doing it yourself though. After washing, you can use a product like OptiSeal which takes all of about 15 minutes to apply to the vehicle. Products have come a long way and made life much easier for the enthusiast who wants to maintain their own vehicle.
Heres a link to OptiSeal so you can check it out;
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/optiseal.html
Old 01-01-09, 05:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Delyn
Hi All,

I have just purchased my first Lexus and am, of course, in love with it

However, I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains with no garage Thus, I face redwood sap, moist conditions and tree dust. The car also sits outside in the sun at work each day down in the valley.

I commute and work a lot of hours and am not too interested in detailing the car myself. I DO, however, want to provide it with the best care I can.

Have read posts that Cilajet is a huge waste of money. Would you all simply recommend a good wax and polish from a reputable brushless car wash place on a regular basis? How often? I've used Classic Car Wash in the past but feel free to comment on that as well.

Also, I had to have the Cashmire leather. Any protectant suggestions?

I'm willing to spend the money and have given my cars in the past good care. Would appreciate anyone's suggestions or comments.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.
I would get yourself a tin of Collinite 476S wax and put 2 or 3 coats on yourself, you can order from several online stores. The stuff is about as good as it gets for protection and durability. Even with a few coats you still want to wash the car at least once a week or whenever you see sap on it to help protect your finish.
Old 01-02-09, 08:38 AM
Delyn
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Chris and UDel for your comments. I really appreciate it. There is a wonderful detailer in San Jose, AJ's Auto detailing. I know they use a polymer sealer wax. Can I put Collinite on after that, or would that need to be removed?
Old 01-02-09, 09:01 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Delyn
Thank you Chris and UDel for your comments. I really appreciate it. There is a wonderful detailer in San Jose, AJ's Auto detailing. I know they use a polymer sealer wax. Can I put Collinite on after that, or would that need to be removed?
You can apply Collinite over their sealer wax, that wouldnt be a problem.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/coaupr.html
Old 01-10-09, 08:46 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 384 Likes on 226 Posts

buy a car cover