Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 08:47 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default leather

how often should i clean my leather? and how often should i condition it?
Old 01-08-09, 09:01 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would condition about 1-2x/year. Thats all it should really need. Wipedowns/cleaning should be more frequent, but will depend on how often you use the vehicle, where it sits, etc. I tend to hit my leather w/ prestine clean each time I wax (generally every 4-5 weeks).
Old 01-08-09, 09:04 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

heres another thread posted by a member here that may interest you.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rs-no-56k.html
Old 01-08-09, 09:22 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
thanks much!
Old 01-08-09, 10:04 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would condition about 1-2x/year. Thats all it should really need. Wipedowns/cleaning should be more frequent, but will depend on how often you use the vehicle, where it sits, etc. I tend to hit my leather w/ prestine clean each time I wax (generally every 4-5 weeks).
Good advice Chris..

btw, I used your Optimum no rinse, wax, detailer last week.. looks great! Thanks again
Old 01-08-09, 11:26 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would clean and condition the drivers seat more often, b/c its used most often, about every two months.
Old 01-09-09, 06:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The most important thing you can do to keep your leather looking good over the years is to keep it clean. I clean my leathers by wiping them down with a dampened MF every week or two when I wash the car. It's the dust and dirt that will abrade and wear the leather.

I also use a protection cream (not a conditioner, BTW) on the seats every three months. As I've mentioned in another thread, in automotive care terms you could compare a protection cream to a paint sealant and a conditioner to a glaze. Every conditioning product I've used has left a film on the leathers urethane coating. You can feel this coating as it is slightly oily or slippery. This film acquires and holds dirt. A protectant is different in that it is dry and sheds dust and dirt easily. A protectant makes the leather easier to clean while a conditioner makes the leather get dirty quicker.

My quarterly routine:
For cleaning I'd suggest trying Woolite diluted with water (1:10) and apply with a foam applicator or a very soft bristle brush. I perfer the Leather Masters cleaner but Woolite is safe if used as directed. Do a small area at a time and don't over wet the leather. Work up a lather by briskly agitating the area. When you have cleaned the area, wipe up the foam and dirt. Next wipe the leather down with a clean damp MF to remove all traces of detergent. Pay extra attention to cleaning the seams well. Buff the leather dry with a clean MF. Now apply your protection cream. Use another foam applicator pad and apply a thin, even coating and allow to dry for a few minutes then buff with another clean MF towel. I prefer and use Leather Masters cleaning and protection cream. BTW, if you have perforated leather I'd recommend using a brand new horsehair shoe brush to buff the area. This will be sure to clear any material from the perforations. Use as little product as possible on perforated leathers.

My maintenance routine:
In between this leather detailing I keep the leathers clean by wiping with a damp MF towel every week or two and follow by wiping with a MF dampened with Meguiar's Quik Detailer product which adds UVA and UVB protection. This product leaves no silicones or oils on the leathers nor does it remove the protection.
Old 01-09-09, 07:24 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
Good advice Chris..

btw, I used your Optimum no rinse, wax, detailer last week.. looks great! Thanks again
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that you liked everything Post up some pics if you get a chance
Old 01-16-09, 07:18 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that you liked everything Post up some pics if you get a chance
A friend of mine just actually twittered about using Optimum No Rinse wash (http://twitter.com/faizk22/status/1123829495).
I thought I'd search through this Automotive Care & Detailing sub-forum to see what was said, and sure enough, a lot of posts came back. I came across this post here - Glad to hear good feedback for this product, I've let him know.

He should join this forum too (his main car's an X5, but he got a Lexus SUV for his fam a year or two ago - just in case anyone here wanted to discriminate based on that).
Old 01-16-09, 08:50 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by srizvi1
A friend of mine just actually twittered about using Optimum No Rinse wash (http://twitter.com/faizk22/status/1123829495).
I thought I'd search through this Automotive Care & Detailing sub-forum to see what was said, and sure enough, a lot of posts came back. I came across this post here - Glad to hear good feedback for this product, I've let him know.

He should join this forum too (his main car's an X5, but he got a Lexus SUV for his fam a year or two ago - just in case anyone here wanted to discriminate based on that).
everyone who tries it seems to love it! Glad to hear more positive feedback on it! Have him join the forum
Old 01-22-09, 02:47 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Chris, I posted earlier in the thread about buying the Optimum no Rinse. here's a link to it in your store I believe.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opnoriga.html

I'd like to order some more items in one shot. There seems to be a lot of leather advice in this thread, specifically in this post:

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The most important thing you can do to keep your leather looking good over the years is to keep it clean. I clean my leathers by wiping them down with a dampened MF every week or two when I wash the car. It's the dust and dirt that will abrade and wear the leather.

I also use a protection cream (not a conditioner, BTW) on the seats every three months. As I've mentioned in another thread, in automotive care terms you could compare a protection cream to a paint sealant and a conditioner to a glaze. Every conditioning product I've used has left a film on the leathers urethane coating. You can feel this coating as it is slightly oily or slippery. This film acquires and holds dirt. A protectant is different in that it is dry and sheds dust and dirt easily. A protectant makes the leather easier to clean while a conditioner makes the leather get dirty quicker.

My quarterly routine:
For cleaning I'd suggest trying Woolite diluted with water (1:10) and apply with a foam applicator or a very soft bristle brush. I perfer the Leather Masters cleaner but Woolite is safe if used as directed. Do a small area at a time and don't over wet the leather. Work up a lather by briskly agitating the area. When you have cleaned the area, wipe up the foam and dirt. Next wipe the leather down with a clean damp MF to remove all traces of detergent. Pay extra attention to cleaning the seams well. Buff the leather dry with a clean MF. Now apply your protection cream. Use another foam applicator pad and apply a thin, even coating and allow to dry for a few minutes then buff with another clean MF towel. I prefer and use Leather Masters cleaning and protection cream. BTW, if you have perforated leather I'd recommend using a brand new horsehair shoe brush to buff the area. This will be sure to clear any material from the perforations. Use as little product as possible on perforated leathers.

My maintenance routine:
In between this leather detailing I keep the leathers clean by wiping with a damp MF towel every week or two and follow by wiping with a MF dampened with Meguiar's Quik Detailer product which adds UVA and UVB protection. This product leaves no silicones or oils on the leathers nor does it remove the protection.
I Was wondering if you were willing to have some links to the items discussed in this thread as specific links to order from your store. If you have any other helpful info for any product you've discussed using, but don't carry in your store, that would be appreciated as well.

In a post you linked to earlier on another thread: (
the last post (as of today) has a link to a kit. I think that may have some items discussed here?

you've given me some advice over in the Recommended (interior) plastic cleaner? thread as well. I think you were going to post a few other things. I'd like to look into that also too, but I'll discuss that more with you in that thread.

My car's only a couple weeks old, but I don't really have any good cleaning supplies so I'd like to build a nice arsenal. but probably a bit gradually, starting with what's most important first.

Last edited by Shahryar; 01-22-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 04:41 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Chris, I posted earlier in the thread about buying the Optimum no Rinse. here's a link to it in your store I believe.

I'd like to order some more items in one shot. There seems to be a lot of leather advice in this thread, specifically in this post:

I Was wondering if you were willing to have some links to the items discussed in this thread as specific links to order from your store. If you have any other helpful info for any product you've discussed using, but don't carry in your store, that would be appreciated as well.

the last post (as of today) has a link to a kit. I think that may have some items discussed here?

you've given me some advice over in the Recommended (interior) plastic cleaner? thread as well. I think you were going to post a few other things. I'd like to look into that also too, but I'll discuss that more with you in that thread.

My car's only a couple weeks old, but I don't really have any good cleaning supplies so I'd like to build a nice arsenal. but probably a bit gradually, starting with what's most important first.
phew, big post there We'll get you set up w/ everything you need. PM coming
Old 01-22-09, 08:44 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

phew, big post there We'll get you set up w/ everything you need. PM coming
haha.. sorry for the big post, but wanted to cover everything in one shot. But why the PM? I'm sure everyone could benefit from this info, no?
Old 01-25-09, 11:00 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

haha.. sorry for the big post, but wanted to cover everything in one shot. But why the PM? I'm sure everyone could benefit from this info, no?
The link to the ONR is the correct one. It also comes in the smaller 32oz size if you prefer that. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opnoriwansh.html

As for the leather care, you can pick up some woolite at your local store. I do not carry the leathermasters products only b/c everyone has been extremely pleased w/ the leather products I have available. If there was enough interest for an initial bulk purchase/gb, I could certainly contact them and inquire about carrying their products. Otherwise, you can order directly from the leather master website.

This is the area we were discussing about w/ regard to cleaning up shoe scuff marks. sorry, I thought I had some before/after pics, but I dont know where they are atm.

And was just going to discuss a package over pm/email so its easier to keep track of w/o overloading this thread, but its no problem to go over it in here if you'd prefer.
I just need to know what you have right now that you're using and want to continue using (if anything), what kind of facilities you have available to take care of the car (garage? hose/driveway? apartment complet?, etc). Also, let me know if its your daily driver or not and we'll start getting you set up.
Old 01-25-09, 05:18 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I see you have a 2008 model. Back in 2002, when mine was new, I started using Lexol conditioner about twice a year. Now, the driver-side leather is starting to show signs of real wear. So, I guess I should have been more agressive in my leather maintenance. I'm now looking into leatherique.

Quick Reply: leather