Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Salt Damage? WHEEL Help.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 11:33 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Salt Damage? WHEEL Help.....

Hi there,

I know a lot of you guys live in winter climates and have lots of experience, so figured I would ask here. I have a job assignment in Chicago for 14 months. So I am here 5 day a week and then fly home for the weekend. So I had my Lexus LS shipped out here. The car stays outside, and gets driven during the week. It has SSR Vienna wheels on it. They are 3 piece wheels and the lips are shiny (I assumed polished, I am attaching a picture).

Every weekend before I go back to the west coast, I wash the car, since it gets snow/rain/salt from the mid western roads. However this last weekend, ONLY THE LEFT REAR wheel looked strange. The lips of the wheel doesn't shine at all. It is very dull and looks like little specks all over. So I scrubbed them pretty hard (just regular car wash soap) with my microfiber towel, but it is very dull for some reason.

Any idea how/what happened or how to fix it. Appreciate some help.

HERE IS THE BEFORE PICTURE.
Attached Thumbnails Salt Damage? WHEEL Help.....-aftermod-011.jpg  
Old 01-10-09, 11:34 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Here is the after wash picture. All other 3 wheels have perfect shine, except this one
Attached Thumbnails Salt Damage? WHEEL Help.....-salt1.jpg  
Old 01-10-09, 11:35 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

one more close up
Attached Thumbnails Salt Damage? WHEEL Help.....-salt2.jpg  
Old 01-10-09, 12:32 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

looks like clearcoat damage from the salt...maybe try a wheel polish?
Old 01-10-09, 12:33 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Weird that it is on one wheel, but it is what it is. Not a bad idea, will pick some up (I have nothing here..so always have to buy something..given temporary location). Once back in CA, easy to polish them up.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-09, 01:01 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea other people should be chiming in about ur situation so more advice for you.
Old 01-10-09, 01:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to have that problem with wheels on other cars I've owned. It taught me to put a set of dedicated steel wheels on the car for the winters. Gave me an excuse to buy dedicated snow tires and save my good wheels for the warmer months. Salt and sand mixture is quite damaging to those kind of wheels.
Old 01-10-09, 02:30 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Yeah I realize that. But Jim, this is my beater car, so I am not too worried about it. However, I am **** enough not to like the way this wheel looks.

Given you have experience with this, what do you recommend to get it looking like the other 3 wheels?
Old 01-10-09, 02:50 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Mothers Chrome and Mag wheel polish will do the trick, that and steel wool, then meguiars #26.
Old 01-10-09, 03:34 PM
jfelbab

I like the Meguiar's All Metal Polish but there are a lot of fine products that will bring it back. After you get some warm weather you might want to have the wheel stripped, polished and resprayed with a CC. That style of wheel does not do well in the midwest winters.
Old 01-10-09, 03:39 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help guys! It is my last and only stop in the midwest in my life.
Old 01-10-09, 03:51 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Thanks for the help guys! It is my last and only stop in the midwest in my life.
Hey, wait until summer before you decide. It's a great place for three of the four seasons. Also plan on a couple days to trip up to Milwaukee during the SummerFest gala.
Old 01-10-09, 04:06 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Yeah Jim I have a bunch of trips planned. I did a 28 day cross country road trip last year in my Lotus, was fun. This year we have a road trip to Alaska planned.

In the midwest, as summer approaches, I am planning on exploring MI, WI for sure. Tell me a bit more about the Summer Fest gala.

More I spend time away from the west coast, more I appreciate it.

The midwest is a nice place, but not for **** OCD car owners like myself.
Old 01-10-09, 04:34 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Yeah Jim I have a bunch of trips planned. I did a 28 day cross country road trip last year in my Lotus, was fun. This year we have a road trip to Alaska planned.

In the midwest, as summer approaches, I am planning on exploring MI, WI for sure. Tell me a bit more about the Summer Fest gala.

More I spend time away from the west coast, more I appreciate it.

The midwest is a nice place, but not for **** OCD car owners like myself.
The Worlds largest music festival.

11 stages, 11 days and 700 bands. Excellent entertainment to suit any taste. Food to die for from many of the areas leading restaurants. Reasonable prices. Great fun for everyone. Families, young, old everyone has a great time. Well organized and quite a safe place. Located on the lakefront near Milwaukee's downtown area. Easy access and good parking availability. Really done right.

http://www.summerfest.com/flash/#
http://wisconsin-travel.suite101.com...t_milwaukee_wi
http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/h...mmer20.article

Google Milwaukee Summerfest for more. This has been a happening for over 40 years. It's a quick drive to Milwaukee on I94. It's really easy to have fun in Milwaukee.

I take my winters to Cape Coral, Florida to get out of the midwest winter slop. Milwaukee got about 8-10 inches again over the last day or so. Chicago got a mess too. It's been sunny and 78-80 here every day. My car stays pristine here in the winter.
Old 01-10-09, 08:45 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The Worlds largest music festival.

11 stages, 11 days and 700 bands. Excellent entertainment to suit any taste. Food to die for from many of the areas leading restaurants. Reasonable prices. Great fun for everyone. Families, young, old everyone has a great time. Well organized and quite a safe place. Located on the lakefront near Milwaukee's downtown area. Easy access and good parking availability. Really done right.

http://www.summerfest.com/flash/#
http://wisconsin-travel.suite101.com...t_milwaukee_wi
http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/h...mmer20.article

Google Milwaukee Summerfest for more. This has been a happening for over 40 years. It's a quick drive to Milwaukee on I94. It's really easy to have fun in Milwaukee.

I take my winters to Cape Coral, Florida to get out of the midwest winter slop. Milwaukee got about 8-10 inches again over the last day or so. Chicago got a mess too. It's been sunny and 78-80 here every day. My car stays pristine here in the winter.
Are you anywhere close to Hales Corners? I have 3 of my cousins living there which by the way I have never met yet but am planing to do so in the near future. Perhaps this coming summer would be a good time to do that. Would also like to see this Milwaukee Summerfest and have a gemuetliche zeit ha,ha...Hope you are enjoying your stay in Florida

Quick Reply: Salt Damage? WHEEL Help.....